Can he charge me for repairs that didn't fix the problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My boiler had recently been playing up with hot water, so I got a local corgi plumber to have a look at it, he diagnosed that the pump needed replacing, he came out fitted it but instead of fixing the problem, both the central heating and hot water do not work.

At the time he said I wouldn't be charged as he hadn't fixed the problem and that I needed a new boiler. I said that as that was the case depending on the quotes I would look more favourable to them because of this but now I have said get the new boiler installed they have invoiced me for a call out charge/pump and fitting (which I think is taking the pi55).

I haven't had chance to speak to them yet as they had sent the details by email but I don't think I should pay for something that didn't fix the problem.

They haven't installed the new one but if they are planning on charging me for the job that didn't fix the boiler I'll be trying them to forget the installation.

I just need to know where I stand and any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Calum

Sponsored Links
they failed to repair the fault
despite promising not to, they charged you for hanging around in stead of fixing the problem
as the cowboy could not find the fault, his solution was: you need a new boiler.
conclusion:
find another plumber

alternative:
describe details of your heating system and the problem here, and see what the fault is likely to be.
chances are you don't need a new boiler

Boiler: Ideal Isar HE24
Original fault was HW flow going hot/cold/hot/cold
Now I have neither HW or CH working.
L9/H9 keeps occurring if you put either HW or CH on.
The system is clear (apparently)

Sponsored Links
there's no way in the world you need a new boiler h9/l9 is a fault that can be fixed at the maximum of the price for a new heat ex,go and check all your rad valves are open,you have a circulation problem

I was going to offer to come out free of charge and see what the fault really was if you were in the L/S or Cov areas.

However, now that I hear its an Ideal I am not so sure!!

Nevertheless its not such an old boiler and BG do a fixed price repair at about £250 and I expect that Ideal may do something similar.

I would never charge anyone for not fixing a fault. Only today another ARGI member asked me to take over a fault which he had got stuck on and he was certainly not charging for his time.

Tony

hot water alternating hot/cold is almost always a sludged up plate exchanger in which case you need to get the system cleaned.
a new boiler would in that case soon show the same problem as it is simply a matter of dirt from the system ending up in the plate hex
in most cases a powerflush will both clean the system and unblock the platte hex.

Why pay for something that hasn't fixed it.

Unless you signed/agreed to pay his callout whether he fixed it or not tell him to shove it.

At worst all you should have to pay is the callout, but then I would not charge this if I couldn't cure the fault.

As much as I hate these boilers, as long as the HE isn't leaking they are fixable.

Tell him to pee off and get Ideal out on a £220 fixed price repair.

This plumber was corgi wasn't he? Maybe worth a quick call to Corgi to check his reg number is valid.

Maybe it was Mr B Burner or Mr W Works???

Can't stop giggling at that one!!

But if it was him then he would have used the Dutch colonial Korean developed self inducing antilocking zincplated stainless steel coated plastic polychloroethylinated twist thread with preferential auto infrared nightvision warning device to be certain!!!! lol :p

But if it was him then he would have used the Dutch colonial Korean developed self inducing antilocking zincplated stainless steel coated plastic polychloroethylinated twist thread with preferential auto infrared nightvision warning device to be certain!!!! lol :p

was that the north or south korean version as im not to fond of the northern ons as they seem preprogrammed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back