Can he charge me for repairs that didn't fix the problem?

checked the brochure - actually from saigon, but qual checked in goa!

Sponsored Links
calum82 I have sent you a PM.

Thanks for that oilman.

I have been polite and said that as the problem was not fixed I should not have to pay. The plumber is calling me back today, however the woman I spoke to said that 'we have to charge you as you asked us to order the part' I replied by saying I asked you to fix my boiler as well.

I didn't sign any agreements.

Cheers
Calum

Calum82,

You may have agreed for them to have ordered the part but that would have been down to the engineers recommendation that this part would rectify the fault,

I very much doubt that when the engineer turned up and before he took any tools out that you asked him to order a pump for you!

It was only down to a poor diagnosis that you were told that you needed a pump and to you as a customer you would have no reason to doubt that information.

If the company wants to charge you for every single part that they fit until you get lucky then you could argue the fact that you could quite simply have done that yourself without calling the "experts" in.

You were paying for a service that was not provided

Its not so easy to give you the best advice if you have received some privately although there may be some special reasons for that such as if someone knows the firm concerned etc.

If you called them to fix the boiler then its generally considered thats what they should do and if they order, buy or obtain parts then if they are not whats required yuo should not have to pay for them and the firm should remove them and replace the original parts.

If they dont fix the boiler then I would say that you should not have to pay for their time either as they were not competent or sufficiently skilled. Many others in the trade dont agree with me and think its fair to charge for their time spent even if they cannot fix it.

Of course the skill level of many operatives is much lower than ideal and in a few cases replacing a complex part like a PCB is done on a try it and see basis. Thats fine as long as you are nor charged for the lack of skill in diagnosing faults.

Tony

Sponsored Links
sorry tony forgot that you are the diagnostic master and we all have to take your expert advice, you make it sound like your the only one to never of had a problem on a boiler, but the cc would prove that wrong wouldn't it.you should hold back sometimes my friend before you know the whole story.

I dont know what you are trying to say Kevin.

Do you know any more about this case than has been posted on here?

Its well known that some intermittent faults on this model can be difficult to trace as they can be caused by several parts including the PCB.

That may be the case but that does not alter my view that the owner should not be charged for parts which do not effect a cure.

Do you think they should pay for unecessary parts changed in an effort to fix the boiler?

Tony

no i dont think they should, but how can you tell that, the part that was changed didnt need changing,

Hi

My boiler had recently been playing up with hot water, so I got a local corgi plumber to have a look at it, he diagnosed that the pump needed replacing, he came out fitted it but instead of fixing the problem, both the central heating and hot water do not work.

At the time he said I wouldn't be charged as he hadn't fixed the problem and that I needed a new boiler. I said that as that was the case depending on the quotes I would look more favourable to them because of this but now I have said get the new boiler installed they have invoiced me for a call out charge/pump and fitting (which I think is taking the pi55).

Calum

I can only base my interpretation of the situation on what the OP said at the beginning. But it seems to be very clear and I can only expect that he is telling the truth!

Tony

Boiler: Ideal Isar HE24
Original fault was HW flow going hot/cold/hot/cold
Now I have neither HW or CH working.
L9/H9 keeps occurring if you put either HW or CH on.
The system is clear (apparently)

Based on the original fault description I would have been checking the plate HE first.

Tony

fair enough tony but i am becoming too aware of customers these days ie can you service my boiler, get there, oh yeah it doesnt work. Personally id tell the bloke to come and re fit my working part free of charge, just pay the call out charge and get someone else

By the way, do you still have the original pump?

Just in case they then want their pump back.

Yes I still have the original pump.

Still haven't heard from the plumber, so I'll hopefully speak to them tonight.

Cheers for the advice everyone

Personally id tell the bloke to come and re fit my working part free of charge, just pay the call out charge and get someone else

I would not expect to pay a callout charge to anyone who was unable to diagnose the fault.

Tony

I agree,

as i said before you should not expect to pay for a service that has not been provided.

I would not dream of charging a customer to fix their heating if i couldn't walk away knowing that it will, at least for a very minimum, work for the next 12 months. If there are other things that require attention then they are mentioned to the customer but not forced.

If it cannot be diagnosed/fixed the i for one would not expect a call out charge off the customer.

If i fit a part that was wrong then i will not charge the customer for that part.

On a different note as well what is a call out charge?

The way i work it is that it is an out of normal working hours emergency call and even then its discretionary to who it may be. eg oaps that have no way of sorting it.

People seem to charge a call out fee at 12 in the afternoon and then expect the rate on top?

Whay are people charging a "callout" during normal working hours?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back