Can I build up floor using a frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to need to build up the floor level in my garage to meet up with the present kitchen floor level to enable me to tile throughout. (kitchen conversion under 'Projects') There is presently a 32cm difference in height. Can anyone tell me if it's ok to just build a wooden frame to sit on the concrete garage floor and then lay the floor boards/ply on top of this before tiling over top of it all? My plan would be to lay a DPM on the floor, build the frame and secure this to the floor, then lay maybe a thin layer of chip board and then pva a layer of ply on top of this for strength. I'd make sure one edge of the tiles ran down where the join was between the present kitchen floor and new wooden floor and use a flexible joint and also flexible tiling cement .

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Normally yes, this is an acceptable way to do it, this has been covered in other posts. :)

The easiest way would be to use rawbolts for wallplate to wall then floor joist hanger onto it for floor joists. Use the shortest span for joist line to prevent jumpy floor. Underneath the floor will need some ventilation via air-brick.

Thanks guys. I had done a search but couldn't find the exact info I was after.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back