Can I check if a powerflush was done with my new boiler inst

Guess what?

I bet you have paid him with cash !

Employ a cowboy and you get a cowboy job!

Of course the water is black because it has not been even flushed and certainly not power flushed!

X400 needs FOUR weeks to operate not just 1/2 hour.

You employed a cowboy and you got a cowboy job!

He is probably NOT registered with CORGI to work on his own! I expect you have no idea who he is, first name, mobile number? You cannot take him to court if you dont know who he is ! Email or post his CORGI number and ID card number which he wrote on the Benchmark and I will check it for you.

DONT pay him ANY money until you have the blue Certificate posted to you from CORGI. He is legally unable to provide that if he is not registered in his OWN name!

Tony

Agile.
you jump in too fast shouting & screaming.

x400 4 weeks ?

you don't pay me after i consider installation complete boiler comes off the wall.

i'm not waiting for a third party to get things wrong.

Sponsored Links
Agile thnx for this. I believe it decodes to personal as its his name then has plumbing and heating after. Im hoping he will rectify the situation by doing a proper power flush when he returns next week, failing that I will have to pursue other avenues. How do i send i personal email through this forum without posting his ID for all to see? (He may still redeem himself).

If the CORGI registration seems to decode to him then that sounds OK and he will be able to notify CORGI. I dont think I will be able to add anything at this stage.

If you need his address later then email me at my email address which you find in my profile by clicking on my screen name. I dont like to see anyone being ripped off.

Power flushing takes 3-5 hours and uses suitable chemicals like Sentinel X800 followed by X100 inhibitor. It involves running around the house like a fast fly to each radiator in turn.

When adding the inhibitor, he should have completed and peeled the label off the can and stuck it on the boiler. The empty cans would be in your bin! ( Or in your case would not be! ).

Be aware that nothing stops cowboys posting on this forum! They usually hide their real names though! Genuine people use their real names and business identities.

Tony

Not defending this 'engineer' at all, but in reality a powerflush of any kind will only get the system 80/90% clean. Thats why a lot of us, myself included fit a magnaclean as standard.

When you bled your radiators, how long did you let the coloured water run out for?

It is quite normal for some black dirty water to remain in the top section of the rad around the bleed point after flushing.

This usually will run clean after about 30 seconds if the system is clean.

Sponsored Links
ummmmmm. any one round here knows who exactly who i am.

there is no requirement to powerflush a system prior to a boiler exchange, it is recommended by bs though.

i assume you have a written quotation stating it would be included whether the installation engineer felt it was necessary or not.

i'm not defending the fitter if it was incorrectly carried out.

Whatever he agreed to do, it is his responsibility to ensure the boiler is fitted on a clean system. How he achieves that is his responsibility unless he specifically contracted to power flush the system.

Black water with "bits" in a jar does not indicate a clean system.

Forget what the X400 label says. It needs to be in the system for at least four weeks to have any significant effect.

X800 is the best chemical to use for power flushing or for one day cleaning.

We still dont have any information on the model of boiler which has been fitted for £2000.

Tony

I do not disagree with what that says.

However, anyone experienced with using that product will know that what I have said about the times is true.

Let me ask you a question! If X400 works so fast then why did they need to develop the X800 ?

A further question, why dont you post under your real name? Are you another Softus frightened by your own shadow?

Tony

New Boiler fitted is a Worcester Greenstar 24i/ 28i Junior.

Rads bled for about 20 odd seconds, black water runs for initial 10-15 then it does clear a little, its not constant black but the water is still a murky brown.

Im running the heating system now and in an hour ill check rads again.

Ignoring the merits of wether a powerflush using which ever chemicals are used is effective
Its simple you where quoted for a new boiler and powerflush and there is no way he has done both of these in around 4 hours its impossible .

I have never seen X400 or X100 come in a can. Plastic bottles yes, tubes yes, cans no.

I also have to say that anyone who leaves the installation debris behind, or worse lobs it in the customers bin, is a bit of a cowboy IMHO.

Anyway, where has this slavish devition to power-flushing come from? it is far more important to deal with the system appropriately rather than perpetually chant out this absurd mantra "power-flushing good, anything else bad".

I have to say that anyone who spends a day power-flushing a sealed system that was either (a) sealed from inception or (b) cleansed before conversion has swallowed the Kamco bible hook line and sinker or is simply unaware of some basic facts of physics.

For the record, being a lifetime early adopter, I have had my CF30 for many years together with the magnaclean adaptor and the pump adaptor.

I like to think that I use this equipment intelligently, not robotically.

A system not cleaned properly and treated with inhibitor, can subsequently lead to hot water delivery being problematic. Sediment can block hot water heat exchanger resulting in widely fluctuating hot water delivery at the tap. Manufacturers can and have refused in warranty repairs if failure is due to lack of care and attention during installation.
While the system will no doubt function correctly immediately, you have to ask yourself how long will it keep on working satisfactorily. You can take water samples and have them analysed by Sentinel (makers of aforementioned chemicals) to prove what cleanser/ inhibitor was used if any.
You may also want to ensure gas line is the correct size as this can effect hot water performance.

Agree totally with Elites post. Powerflushing is not the answer to every thing, but when used in appropriate circumstances can give very good results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back