CAN I GET RID OF MY COPPER HOT WATER CYLINDER ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone I have an open vented conventional boiler system with a copper tank, i am planning on keeping this system in place and fitting a megaflow system for the hot water my qeustion is does my boiler still need this copper water cylinder to run the central heating? or can i get rid of it? will it work without it since i dont need it to store anymore hot water thankyou.

Sponsored Links
yes

but the Megaflow installer would have told you that (it is not a DIY job) as part of his quote

yes

but the Megaflow installer would have told you that (it is not a DIY job) as part of his quote

I take it it can be removed i have only briefly spoken to my plumber about a mega flow since he's really busy you know plumbers so havn't gone into all the details but would like to plan ahead so i know this copper cylinder doesn't need to be in the new bathroom i'm doing, i was considering diy job me running pipework to locations for the plumber to finish off until i saw these heaters blow up on youtube cheers John

Sponsored Links
they have multiple safety devices so it is very difficult to make them blow up if correctly installed, that's why there is an extra qualification to fit them.

they have multiple safety devices so it is very difficult to make them blow up if correctly installed, that's why there is an extra qualification to fit them.

I was planning on getting a pre plumbed unit as i feel this is safer than the plumber doing it as i dont really know is he is qualified or not should be ok i think :unsure:

I was planning on getting a pre plumbed unit as i feel this is safer than the plumber doing it as i dont really know is he is qualified or not should be ok i think :unsure:

If he's not qualified, then he shouldn't be fitting them. No amount of pre-plumbing will make it safer :LOL:

Now im confused had a couple of differn't guys come round one is saying my boiler with a cylinder will give good performance but wont be as efficient as a combi boiler and the other is saying combi possible vaillant 937? now i don't know which to go for ? 4 bed house bath shower 2 large living rooms large kitchen long hallway 12 rads 3 people? any ideas please

Combi's will only do one tap at a time. The 937 in its Plus variant might struggle two showers fro a period, but frankly there are better spec'd boilers out there. Combis do not store water so they are more efficient in that respect. An unvented cylinder will likely only lose 2 or 3 kW a day in standing losses and have the advantage of an immersion heater backup.

Without specific installation information (pressure flow, locations, pipe sizes) it is hard for us to comment.

For a good sized house with a bathroom and a shower room, then a cylinder every time for me....

Why do you want a megaflow cylinder ? From your post it appears you think you will not have a dirty great hot water storage tank in your house. This is not the case a megaflow is a unvented water hot tank you only loose the big water tank in the loft and gain lots of stuff in the cylinder cupboard. The only benefit you would have is better hot water flow and only if your cold water flow rate is good. Stay away from a combi unless you really need the space, install a pump on the exsisting cylinder if you want a better hot water flow and save about a 1000 quid.

Why do you want a megaflow cylinder ? From your post it appears you think you will not have a dirty great hot water storage tank in your house. This is not the case a megaflow is a unvented water hot tank you only loose the big water tank in the loft and gain lots of stuff in the cylinder cupboard. The only benefit you would have is better hot water flow and only if your cold water flow rate is good. Stay away from a combi unless you really need the space, install a pump on the exsisting cylinder if you want a better hot water flow and save about a 1000 quid.

I only asked about getting rid of the copper tank because i didn't want or have room for a copper tank and a megaflow tank if one goes then its no problem i checked the cold water is 20 liters a min but we havn't checked the pressure yet if its no good i have been told i can fit a pump to my cold water storage tank in my loft which is 272 liters which will supply pressure to the megaflow its sounding like a combi wouldn't cope for my needs?

estorilblu";p="2222142 said:

The other reason i wanted this system is i don't need to wait to have a shower or bath when my tank is full hot water it will fill 1 bath then no one else has any water for ages and my electric shower is useless in cold wheather.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back