Can i knock this down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

A little advice needed, I have a wall I want to knock down and would just like some reassurance from you guys on if in your opinion its a supporting wall.

I do not believe it is a supporting wall but just want to double check before laying into it with a sledgehammer.

The house is one of those weird 1970's dormer style houses but much taller with a Scandinavian style roof.

All my walls on the ground floor are concrete block construction and all walls on the 1st floor are stud plasterboard walls, above this wall I want to remove there is nothing at all apart from floor and a small waste high stud wall although it is worth noting that the roof frame does form the back of this wall the for the length of the house so will be depositing load onto it.

Joists run parallel to the wall and one joist is sitting rite atop the wall itself

I have just done a quick mock up in Sketch up to show you the layout - the wall i want to remove is highlighted in RED - obviously not the full house and missing joists so you can see the wall etc.

Thanks very much for the help!
House1.jpg
House2.jpg

House3.jpg
House4.jpg
House1.jpg
House2.jpg
House3.jpg
House4.jpg

Sponsored Links
As a rule, if it's not supporting anything, then it's not a supporting wall.

But your other consideration is fire safety, and whether removal of that wall and door makes fire spread easier and means of escape harder.

Thanks for the advice woody, very good point about Fire - something I have overlooked -
although thinking about it I will be extending the other wall and fitting a door (so the wall goes straight to the stairs) this is so I can make the Kitchen bigger so I don't forsee that being a issue.

Like I mention above just don't want any nasty cracks appearing and worse case the roof / house caving in!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back