Can I replace old redundant back boiler with log burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

About 10 years ago we changed to combi boiler,we took the old fire place out and plaster boarded over fire place leaving back boiler and gubbings behind

Now the wife wants me to install a log burner so i got a few questions:-

1:- Is it possible ?
2:- How hard is it to do ?
3:- Can you tell me the Procedure ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. yes
2. very
3. ring HETAS installer. (unless you DIY and inform building control)

hope that helpsS

i would go up the DIY road if possible just would like a rough guide / step by step just to get a idea if i could take it on myself

It does not sound as if you have much experience.

Take the training and assessment to become HETAS qualified and then you can notify Building Control yourself! Possible cost about £2000 ?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Rip the gubbins out, clean the chimney, check your pointing, then get back to me. Don't tell nobody nothing.

Now the wife wants me to install a log burner so i got a few questions:-

1:- Is it possible ?
YES
2:- How hard is it to do ?
Not particularly, if you have the skills, (maybe nerves for the roof work) and the funds.
3:- Can you tell me the Procedure ?
Not in you have to ask!

My question for you:

Why would you want a dirty, dust causing, high maintenance, expensive to run appliance in your lounge. With a basket of wood and insects to mess up, your flooring?

Decades ago every one welcomed Gas Fires with open arms, and the reasons for doing so haven't changed. Apart from the increase in gas costs, which have been largely outweighed by the massive increase in efficiency compared to the original fake coal gas fires.

We DO sell wood and coal stoves as well as gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back