CAN I RUN A GAS WATER HEATER FROM A COLD WATER TANK??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello friends

I have a situation where cold water supply is unreliable and when it is running it is very low pressure (less than one bar, it's in morocco)

my first option is to have a hot water cylinder (electric) fed by gravity, but I'd rather use gas coz i've got it installed, and may be cheaper

I will be having the mains coming into a tank, and then feed everything from the tank, my question is, can I have a dedicated outlet from the tank, then pump it to 1 bar for the gas water heater (like this http://www.chaffoteaux.co.uk/britonyiit_001.php) , in other words can i run a gas water heater from a cold water tank, and not from the main???

any help will be greatly appreciated...

cheers

Sponsored Links
You could be right Dan, Though I do'nt think even the kennel stretches too Morocco........ ;)

thanks dan and clf,

are u telling me it's ok to run a gas water heater from a cold water tank, providing i pump it to 1 bar before feeding it?? that's great...

corgi don't exist in morocco, but i will be taking a family member who is a plumber....very useful

thanks mates

Sponsored Links
Sorry forgot you were in Morocco.

As long as the water pressure is adequaste to acitvate hte heater then yes. We have installed combi's to run from pumps wihtout any problems.

Main used to do a low water pressure conversion kit for their multipoints. Don't know about their new model that replaced all of their old range.

In your case the heater's minimum is 1 bar so I would get a 1.5 bar pump just to have that margin and slightly better performance.

thanks a lot dan, that's a problem solved it saves installing the hot water cylinder and makes the bills slimmer

cheers

Dan_Robinson said:
... We have installed combi's to run from pumps wihtout any problems....In your case the heater's minimum is 1 bar so I would get a 1.5 bar pump just to have that margin and slightly better performance.

hi Dan,

one more stupid question, did you install these combi boilers to be fed from a cold water tank like in my case???

is a 400 litres tank enough to feed my gas water heater? (it will be just for one kitchen sink, 1 bath sink, and 1 bath/shower, no central heating)

water supply over there can be cut for 1 day sometimes, that's why i am having everything fed from cold water tanks (1 for 3 cold taps, and 1 just for the gas hot water)

No they were next to a hospital in London that was taking all the pressure from the street. Ironically after three years Thames water sorted out the pipes and some of them have since been taken out.

Dan_Robinson said:
No they were next to a hospital in London that was taking all the pressure from the street. Ironically after three years Thames water sorted out the pipes and some of them have since been taken out.

were u actually pumping from the main??

Dan_Robinson said:
No a cold water tank in the loft.

thanks Dan...hopefully one more question for tonight:

is a 400 litres tank enough to feed my gas water heater? (it will be just for one kitchen sink, 1 bath sink, and 1 bath/shower, no central heating)

water supply over there can be cut for 1 day sometimes, that's why i am having everything fed from cold water tanks (1 for 3 cold taps, and 1 just for the gas hot water)

That should be loads. Invest in flow regulators for the taps, and a low volume flush WC. It'll help even more. UK loo's have a dual flush system now with the choice of 3 or 6 litres depending on what you've been eating ;).

Dan_Robinson said:
Yes. But you need to be CORGI'd to fit the heater.

You don't need to be Corgi in Morrocco or the UK to fit it.

Be aware the the wobbe index number of the local gas ( if its piped ) may well be different from the UK and that a UK specification boiler might not be correct for North Africa.

Morocco has one of the largest proved natural gas reserves in the world ! however their economy still does not seem that improved to keep so many of their nationals out of France or even some from London.

Most manufacturers of water heaters ( inc. combis ) say they should not be used on tank supplies. This is not because they will not work but because of the risk of legionella infection.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back