Can I upgrade existing doors to FD20

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just in the process of having my loft converted.

I understand that I need to have FD20 doors for all of the doors on the escape route.

unfortunately that will be 9 plus the two new ones in the loft.

The existing doors are original 1910/1920s wooden four panelled doors. The doors are 44mm thick and the panels are about 12mm thick.

I spoke to the nice man at Building Control last week about the possibility of painting them with intumescent paint to meet the regs, but he didn't seem keen on the idea, but said he would look it up and get back to me.

So a few questions.
1. Any advice on how to convince the council to accept upgarding rather than replacing the doors.
2. Are there any alternatives to painting them that BC are more likely to accept?
3. Do all doors onto the landing/hallway have to be FD20 ? (e.g. bathroom and coat cupboard).

Sponsored Links
Your inspector will either accept such a solution or he will not, it is up to you to present the evidence in a convincing manner.

Other than overpannelling I am not aware of any other methods of upgrading FDs.

I would be surprised if your inspector would insist on a cupbaord and bathroom door be upgraded however people have reported on here that their inspectors have requied suchlike to be upgraded so again this will be down to your inspector.

There was a thread on upgrading doors here with various links to solutions and other info, might make for an interesting read: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=184924&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

By the way, you should be speaking to the actual inspector who deals with your area as it is him and him alone who will be signing it off. :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back