Can I use this pre-cast Flue? (pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :D

I've recently moved into a new house, and an doing some renovations. We're trying to get a gas ire put into the lounge.

There was no fire there originally, but, having found a capped-off gas pipe on the wall, explored a bit to find a pre-cast flue hidden behind the plasterboard. The house is a 1993 build, and the flue has never been used.

It joins onto a stainless-tubular pipe in the attic, which takes it from the top of the wall cavity to a vent ridge tile on the roof. Although 21 years old, this pipework is all in good condition (never used).

I want to know if I can use this flue...its unusually narrow (only 13" width). I see many suppliers can provide 'slim fires' which depths of around 120mm, which would fit fine, but as far as I can see, any of this would require me to chisel out the breeze block to 16" or 18".

I've advertised a job on 'rated people' twice, for a gas fitter to come and inspect, and then install a fire but have had no interest, not even in coming around to check out the flue. Am I missing something?

The wall is an external one, so I guess we could fit a balanced-flue through the wall instead if we had to, but the Class 2 fireplaces are much cheaper than those advertised as balanced flue.

Photo's below of the opening we've made in the lounge, up the flue (showing a very thin starter block (I think?) and also the proximity of the gas pipe in the final photo.

Really grateful for anyone's opinion or advice? We've bought a used hearth & mantle which I'm happy to fit before a gas-safe fitter connects gas&flue.

Cheers & Merry Christmas :D

003_zps460d42f9.jpg

004_zps36124a3d.jpg

005_zpsf3b67032.jpg

007_zps194e6336.jpg

009_zpsa7298c72.jpg

Tom

Sponsored Links
Might be best to get gas safe engineer to test chimney and give you a bit of advice before you go ahead and buy fire and surround.

Paul

Sponsored Links
I see.......why did housing developers bother to install them if they are good as worthless?

How much should I be looking at to install a balanced flue gas fire (ground floor), assuming I expand the gap as necessary and fit the hearth/surround myself?

Cheers for the input,

Tom

nobody has said yet that you can't use it for a gas fire.

The dimensions of the flue itself may be relevant.

Why is that then John ?
It looks fine to me although it looks shallow and might need a spacer kit.

Op...you won't need that flue for a balanced flue fire as it vents to an outside wall.
Get someone in to take a look and advise you.

You need to consult a Registered Gas Engineer it is possible for SOME gas fires to use the flue (Subject to conditon of flue a satisfactory survey) however there are some fires that CANNOT be fitted it is important that if your flue is deemed to be OK a fire is selected that is suitable for the existing flue ;)

Because it is not for us to say... It is for the installer doing the job to decide if the flue is suitable and for which fire

Because it is not for us to say... It is for the installer doing the job to decide if the flue is suitable and for which fire

Provided the flue has been constructed properly, and the loft section is correctly fitted, using the correct material, and does not fall below 45 degrees it will probably be fine. You will need a "multi flue" fire, and you will need a fireplace, as the hole is probably too high - the fireplace will have the correct size opening.

Have an EXPERIENCED gas fire RGI (making sure he has the correct ticket) check the flue BEFORE buying the fire etc. Expect to pay for this inspection, especially if it fails. Contrary to what most guys here will say, engaging a fireplace retailer to supply an install the fireplace is the safer bet. This is straightforward work, but lots of RGI's are scared off them. Avoid (IMO) Focal Point or their derivatives ie pretty much any fire made in Christcurch.

Also beware of cobwebs!!

I think only corgicrouch has hinted at one key part of the precast chimney which would need a site visit to confirm before recommending Fire.

Just retread the thread. Worryingly johnD also mentioned it yet many RGIs haven't.

If you are referring to the size / CSA of the flue, any experienced fire fitter would recognise that the flue starter blocks are the norm, especially as the OP has stated a width of 13". Of course the flue should be inspected BEFORE the product is purchased, as I have mentioned. The blocks are NOT deep enough for most MF fires to be fitted straight to the wall, which is why I said the OP will have to invest in a fireplace - which he probably intended to anyway. Obviously an old fashioned radiant or LFE wall mounted fire could probably n=be fitted, with a little block and plasterwork below.

In summary, the OP can reasonably expect the flue to be suitable for a fire, which was the original question.

Indeed, but we are not there to survey the flue...In all probability the OP will get someone in BUT we all know there are plenty who come here, will read the positive comments, disregard your warnings and fit the fire themselves... I have found on these systems that the twinwall in the loft can be the weak point, not supported and or not fitted correctly and as you correctly pointed out, cobwebs...

As you know Fireman, as heating appliances become safer and more idiot resistant, too many folk underestimate the dangers of open flued appliances.

Thanks very much for all the responses.

Since one or two people mentioned dimensions, the flue is 90mm x 325mm. I've posted a job up on the 'RatedPeople' website for someone to come and inspect it to determine fit for use or not (we're in Bristol, should any of you be nearby!)...

I'm hoping to buy something like this . The available depth (including plasterboard) is 135mm. As mentioned, we've already got a hearth to mound it on and marble surround to go behind it (with a w420mm x h570mm cut out).

I only mentioned balanced flue, because, should the pre-cast not be usable (for whatever reason), we'll perhaps put a balanced flue through the wall instead.

Cheers again,

Tom

Cobwebs shouldn't be a problem because it states in the regs that any chimney should be thoroughly swept PRIOR to the installation of the Gas fire
:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back