Can I use wallpaper or do I need to re-plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a flat in a converted house which is about 100 years old. I've stripped off the wallpaper in my front room, but am now left with rather uneven walls - cracked plaster and not a smooth surface in sight. I've posted a picture here: www.higherbound.net/wall.htm

It's too rough to simply paint over. Can I get away with using a thick wallpaper or lining paper on the walls, or do the surfaces need to be skim plastered?

I am a complete novice at DIY, so would probably get someone in to do either the wallpapering or plastering. I've never had to employ anyone to do either in the past, so have no idea of the cost. Can anyone give me any idea at all (the room is 15' by 14' with sloping ceiling; and I live in Sussex).

I'm hoping to sell the flat later in the year, so I simply need a cost-effective solution that looks presentable. Hopefully that's not asking too much.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If you have the money have it skimmed. Best result every time (wish I were a plasterer) If like me you are skint 1400 grade lining paper put on horizontally will do it.
Mondo

You could get yourself a bag of easifil and give the walls a once over with a wide caulking tool..

Rub down....coat of PVA or thin wallpaper paste...then line it with thick stuff...then line over the top with thinner stuff

Sponsored Links
Well, I know both tradesmen here in East Sussex ;) but I`d say from the pic that the key between the old plaster and the laths has gone ........so heavy paper may be best option....or it`d all have to come off , or might be able to board over then skim.....decorator to look first, I`d say ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back