Can one replace a upvc door lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need advice please.

My daughter's called a locksmith last week as her door would not lock at all. He said that it was the heat. Fixed the problem bit again next day the same problem. Had to pay him again as he said it was the heat.

Locksmith told us that lock on pvc doors can't be changed. My daughter would like to change the lock as she is worried that this might happen again.

Sponsored Links
There could be different components in the "lock". For example it's usually fairly straight forward to change the cylinder (the actual key bit), but if it's the type where you lift the door handle to lock the door then there's a mechanism inside the door, consisting of levers/pins/hooks etc. These can usually also be changed but obviously more costly. What's jamming exactly?

Thank you. Don't really know what's jamming. Locksmith just said it was due to the heat. Door has bn there for some years I understand. The door lock just wouldn't engage in the bit in the architrave. Sorry I don't know technical terms.
Yes it is the type where you have to lift the handle.
There is a metal strip that runs the height of the door. The whole front is frosted glass in pvc frame with door.

If the door lock isn't aligning with the keeper then you probably need the door adjusted, which is usually possible somehow.

Sponsored Links
Door needs adjusting by the sounds of it, usually it's the top of the the door that needs moving away from the frame, you do this by removing the cap on the hinge and then use the right size Alan key.
You need a clearance of 4-6mm from where each hook/cam engages into the keep, anything closer or further away and the handle will struggle to lift.
Call a local glazing company , should hopefully be a 5 minute job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back