Can the Horstmann Electrisaver be wired up to my CH system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone please tell me if the Horstmann Electrisaver can be connected up to my CH system?

Basically the Electrisaver (http://www.horstmann.co.uk/water-heating.php) is a simple push button electronic timer that saves energy by remembering to switch off when you forget. It is marketed primarily for use with immersion heaters but I can see an application for it in my house as we often only need a 15/30min boost to the CH. Btw I have seen other CH timers offering 60/120 min boost but nothing down to 15/30 mins.

I currently have a potterton EP4001 timer which I can easily change if that helps it work with the Electrisaver. Boiler is a glow worm swfitflow 80 combi.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It will work, although I struggle to see the point if you already have the ability to override for an hour... If you have a thermostat the system will switch off anyway.

If you don't have a thermostat, you would be better off spending the money on one of those.

You can wire the Horstmann to piggy back the timer.

Hi Dan and cheers for the reply

I think it would work well in our house for a couple of reasons.

1. We use our rads to dry clothes and a quick blast is all we need. Unfortunately we can't be trusted to remember to turn CH off so this could save money.

2. We don't use the timer much as heating stays on 24/7 with the thermostat turned down to 17degC. At this setting the CH rarely comes on as the house in mid terrace and very warm. We used to use the timer but as new parents the wife likes to know the CH will fire up if the temp drops during the night, e.g. it clicked on at 4am this morning which isn't bad considering it was hardly on yesterday and went off around 8pm.

Also say the heating clicks on at 17degc on the dial, when it clicks off if i rotate the dial it says 20 or 21 so there is a lag in the system?? So I thought a boost button might help. We are having the boiler swapped this month and I am looking at a glow worm flexicom as I read about their "intelligent room controls" which said:

Intelligent room control is a simple method of controlling the flow temperature of water to the central heating system based on the temperature measured in the room. As the temperature approaches the desired set point, the Glow-worm Climastat or Climapro/RF begins to lower the flow temperature of water supplied to the central heating system (radiators).

So I am thinking this may get rid of the lag plus save on the fuel bills! I might be wrong tho!

Sponsored Links
Hello again Dan

I actually want the Electrisaver in the new setup to maximise future savings.

We are planning to stay here for 5-8 years so along the way this little box could really pay for itself and some!

How would it be wired up? Of course I will ask the gas fitter to do it, but just wondering how it would work? I assume the thermostat would need to be wacked up so the boost button works in the first place and also that the CH doesnt click off for the duration of the boost?

Or is the CH timer somehow over ridden?

Thanks

With the new boiler and controls it is totally pointless. And I am not sure that is would be compatible with the new controls anyway.

Is it a volt-free switch?

Thanks for the reply.

You mention compatibilty problems, why would it not work with a new boiler but it would with an older one? Sorry to ask but I don't want to buy one if it is not going to work.

Also as mentioned earlier we use the CH system to dry clothes on rads and with young babies there is a LOT of washing, 1-3 loads every day. So we do have a use/application for it. The aim is to save energy or rather money and it would do that.

In terms of Volt free switch, I am not sure. However there is a wiring diagram here if this will help you decide if it would work?

http://www.horstmann.co.uk/download...lectric-Water-Heating/Electrisaver_E15-30.pdf

Someone who is brave enough to install Gloworm can comment on the compatibility - but your controller is not going to switch volt free, so unless the Climastat or Climapro/RF are mains voltage switches then it will blow the boiler's electrics.

The Climastat or Climapro/RF are going to save you more energy that your idea.

I think you need to research the new boiler and its control system a little more.

OK thanks for your advice today.

Maybe someone else on here knows whether this setup would work???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back