Can this RCD Be Fed from the bottom ?

Would it be possible to switch around the wiring in some fashion to be able to supply the top and have the load be on the bottom

Attachments

• IMG_5804.jpeg
    IMG_5804.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
Is this mess of a consumer unit actually in Ireland?

If it is, you can't do anything with it.

It might well make the wiring easier, but it would mean that the operating lever would then be "down for on", which some people might regard as undesirable and a potential 'hazard'.

Kind Regards, John
But some of the original rcd, mcb etc were down for on, just like main switches.

Ignoring the mishmash of parts this is a classic example of where a RCD is fed from the bottom.
1707680988715.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Interesting. I thought that was regarded as 'not a good idea'(for fairly easy-to-understand' reasons)?

You quoted before I edited from all to some as I suspect it was not universal

You quoted before I edited from all to some as I suspect it was not universal
I must admit that I didn't even check the photo before I wrote (just 'trusted you' :). However, having now looked, maybe your eyesight is better than mine, but it looks to me as if at least 4 of the 6 levers are 'down for off' (which is what one normally expects), and I'm not sure about the other two?

Kind Regards, John

I must admit that I didn't even check the photo before I wrote (just 'trusted you' :). However, having now looked, maybe your eyesight is better than mine, but it looks to me as if at least 4 of the 6 levers are 'down for off' (which is what one normally expects), and I'm not sure about the other two?

Kind Regards, John
If you're referring to my photo, which is only posted to show bottom entry to the RCD, then yes they are all down off and I'd be surprised if OP's pic is any different.

If you're referring to my photo, which is only posted to show bottom entry to the RCD, then yes they are all down off and I'd be surprised if OP's pic is any different.
That's what I was saying/implying. I thought you were suggesting that some of them weeren't, or might not be,'down for off'?

That's what I was saying/implying. I thought you were suggesting that some of them weeren't, or might not be,'down for off'?
No just the following

Ignoring the mishmash of parts this is a classic example of where a RCD is fed from the bottom.
Some black MCB's compatible with the brown Crabtree (I think C50 range) were down on and caused all sorts of confusion where both were fitted in the same unit. They were very popular in schools where lots of changes took place and hence different personel.

No just the following
Fair enough. I was obviously confused by your post ...
But some of the original rcd, mcb etc were down for on, just like main switches.
<photo of CU with 'down for off' devices>
... since I clearly thought that the photo related to your first sentence, not (or 'as well as') the second!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back