Can we claim for damages?

Thanks for the varied replies guys.

To clarify a few things, we wanted to replace our Radiation Fuelsaver boiler so we obtained three quotes, one from BG, and two from local companies, obviously the BG quote was the most expensive at £2,800, the other two quotes being £2,300 and £2,280. All three quotes were to remove the existing boiler from the kitchen, remove the hot water cylinder tank and remove the two water tanks in the loft.

The boilers quoted for were BG = Greenstar 12i, £2,300 = Greenstar 30CDi and £2,280 = Greenstar Junior28i. BG quoted to fit the new boiler as the existing in the kitchen, the other two quoting for installation in the airing cupboard, and including a 22mm new gas supply to the boiler, powerflush and fernox protector. A digistat was also included in the quotes. We opted for the middle quote of £2300, not exactly cheap in my eyes.

TRV's were mentioned at the time of all three first visits, we already have a couple installed and I want to replace some smaller rads in the future so I'll fit extra TRV's then. No-one inspected the valves, or warned us about what could happen to them while powerflushing, or whether they would be required to be replaced at the time of installation.

The valve in question was less than two years old from a local builders merchant, some of the valves are original from the house being built in 1979 and were Ok with no signs of leaks during the powerflush. I only ask because it seems strange that one of the newest valves suddenly bursts the stem from the main valve body, and as mentioned in the original post they took the valve away so I couldn't inspect it. The powerflusher was in the bedroom because the new boiler has been installed in the airing cupboard, which in turn is in the bedroom. They did put dust sheets down though.

After over a week of drying it looks like there's no damage to carpets or ceilings, there's still a slight smell with the carpet though, maybe a carpet cleaner will remove the smell. While it's been inconvenient having the carpet pulled back while it and the floorboards dry out, I'm not after ripping anybody off, and I am willing to pay the remainder of the bill, I just wanted to know what others views on it were, and if this sort of thing happens to other installers, and whether it would be worth negotiating for a discount on the final amount. Although I'd be happy with a couple of bottles of protector free of charge for future use, I'll put that to them. ;)

Thanks again guys for all your input. :D

On a side note the digistat optimiser they fitted only has four programmable times per day, is it possible to hardwire the old room stat, which was a 5/2 day with six programmable times per day into the 30CDi.

Sponsored Links
It is inevitable old valves will leak when an old OV boiler is replaced with a sealed system boiler. They will leak even more when system is chemically cleansed. Some radiator valves you only need to look at them, they start to leak.

Biggest culprits are the ones with O ring on the spindle. O ring wear and gets brittle with age. No matter how good you are, moment you turn the spindle on one of the aforementioned duff valves, water gushes out.

I ensure clients know that their valve could leak before I start work.

There is one of the cheaper valves that as you open it up it can take the whole insides out of the valve , if someone had never come up against them it would be vey easy to be caught out and then if they got flustered they would struggle to get it back in .

Tank overflowing is down to them but up to the owner who to claim from personally i would just claim off my house insurance and say it was a burst pipe or something.

Sambotc - Missed that point before...and you're right. My wife works for an insurance company and they get very annoyed at over inflated claims. They are getting very cute at balancing the genuine needs of the insured against the insurance companies need to mitigate costs to....as you say..keep insurance rates down. Although the best solution has already been mentioned...if the damage is not too severe...negotiate a discount. the old "jaw not war" approach.

In terms of actually claiming..wifey says claim off the household insurance but DO NOT lie. They aren't stupid and will know there has been plumbing work and will ask more questions. Its not worth it..its fraud...and a bit obvious

Be honest and they will probably absorb the cost but may choose to chase the plumbers insurance for a contribution. That way its not personal.

Sponsored Links
The Optimiser is a bit short on facilities and we usually fit 3rd party controls unless a customer is a Worcester fetishist.

You would need the blanking plate originally fitted to the boiler if you remove the DT10RF Optimiser kit. Any 3rd party hardwired roomstat/prog can be connected to a Worcester Combi.

simond said:
The Optimiser is a bit short on facilities and we usually fit 3rd party controls unless a customer is a Worcester fetishist.

You would need the blanking plate originally fitted to the boiler if you remove the DT10RF Optimiser kit. Any 3rd party hardwired roomstat/prog can be connected to a Worcester Combi.

Thanks for the info, regarding the optimiser. I do have the original blanking plate, so that's not a problem.

I presume there'll be a terminal block on the pcb somewhere for the programmable room stat connections?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back