Can you dissolve a ridge on UPVC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Have recently had some plastering done around UPVC window frame. When I came to clean the frame, I took a sharp chisel and began to scrape off what I thought was excess plaster and old paint. The first section flicked off easily but further along it got more difficult and I realised I was removing a tiny ridge of UPVC (2mm wide x 1mm deep). The frame is now uneven with some of it smooth and some where I can't fully get rid of the ridge. I was wondering if there are any good products that will effectively dissolve the ridge and polish it smooth. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Plastic bath repair kit should do it, son -in-law scored a bath with a Stanley blade quite badly but managed to polish it out completely.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had a look online but the repair kits seem to be more about filling cracks and dents with a paste. I've got the opposite I want to get rid of the raised bits and polish it all smooth.

I don't think I'd want to try dissolving PVC - the liklihood is that you'll do some serious damage. I'd think in terms of using abrasives, such as a medium to fine silicon carbide to reduce any large ridges, and a car paintwork abrasive, such as Solvol Autosol or T-Cut to do the final polishing out. Some firms make a specific abrasive/chemical cleaner for PVCu as well, although that is potentially too fine for this task

Sponsored Links
I'd forget about the dissolving idea, I think....it's a little difficult to picture this one, but could you get in with a Dremel, or even cover it with some quarter round?
John :)

Yeah, dissolving does sound a bit 'challenging'. I'll give it a go first with a fine abrasive and T cut as suggested.

I've also come across these products http://www.weiss-chemie.com/html/reiniger-472.html?lng=en

If the T cut doesn't work and it's not too expensive, I could practise on an old UPVC window that's heading for the tip. Failing everything it'll be the dreaded beading trim. There's so much of it in this house I was trying to get rid of it bit by bit. Thanks all.

Many many years ago I used to work for a well known DG company who issued us with 1 litre tins of scratch remover, rubber gloves were needed and cotton wool and you just dabbed it on not rubbed and it basically dissolved the PVC and blended the scratch out it was serious s**t.

They used it for years till it turned out it was a carcinogen, never seen or heard of anyone using it since and current colleagues can't believe such a chemical even existed

They used it for years till it turned out it was a carcinogen, never seen or heard of anyone using it since and current colleagues can't believe such a chemical even existed
Carbon tet, perhaps? Or possibly MEK? Both very nasty to us humans. Used to use MEK to polish cut edges on acrylics

Thought I'd let you know how I got on with this. I started off with the wet and dry but soon realised it was going to be a difficult and lengthy job. So I took the plunge with the Cosmo products. It recommended that you start with the non-dissolving cleaner first but not sure why as it didn't seem any more effective than other cleaning products. But the dissolving one - great stuff!

It took me about an hour and a half to go round a 4ft x 5ft window frame and with plenty of elbow grease I managed to smooth out the uneven ridges and scratches. I'll finish it properly by polishing it with some T-cut but as it stands it's only noticeable if you peer very closely. Am very pleased, I thought I'd ruined the window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back