can you experts help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right guys dont know if you have read my previous threads but im in the market for a boiler. Narrowed it down to 2 just wondered if you could help me pick.

Bosch Worcester 24i and the Vallient 824 both for the price including fitting £1250.

So i turn it over to you guys your help is much appriciated cheers.

hendo

Sponsored Links
There is little to choose between them apart from an invididuals preference.

I would wonder if 24 kW will be enough for you.

Also does that rather low price include power flushing the system?

Tony

cheers for the reply tony no the powerflush is £200 on to of that. We only have a 2 bed house 5 rads and dont realy do baths looked at the next size up. what do you think?

The worcester 24i is a great little boiler should be suffice for your house. The price is very cheap we buy them at £840 including flue kit, digital timer and filling loop so £400 to fit is an amazing price. Make sure you have 22mm gas feed all ther way.
Pete

Sponsored Links
i think i might go for the vaillent as the guy who is selling/installing it has done work for me before and i can trust him.

So what was wrong with the Britony that warrants a new boiler?

Don't just look at the the initial cost of the boiler - with many condensing boilers you must add the cost of proper servicing EACH year. This can be an hour or two's labour +gaskets +flue gas analysis (it wipes out the fuel savings!).

I'd steer clear of Worcesters - servicing is a slow laborious task.

Gasguru said:
I'd steer clear of Worcesters - servicing is a slow laborious task.

What part? They say a resistance check on the main HE is enough and FGA on the PC, should take less than 30 mins.

Although i can imagine having to actually clean the HE may take awhile but id imagine this is like every 5 years?

BTW i have seen your pics of the baffles on the WB3. Were they inspected on a service or were they actually causing a fault?

The pics of the corroded WB3 heat ex baffles were after only 1 year.

The pressure drops I measure across the heat exchanger are getting close to the service level stated in the manual after just 1 years running. Given the state of the baffles I have found on previous WB3 heat exc's (and the way they jam in the heat ex) I'm not leaving the servicing until Worcester deem necessary. The traps are also full of oxide after just a year.

You will need the brush and baffle removal tool and the top burner gasket and sump cover gasket. Just getting these parts took months! I have knocked up a perforated flushing tube to spray water through the heat exchanger. Believe me to do the service properly is a slow process (part of which is down to poor design). Have a look on gas-news.co.uk in the near future; I will be posting an article on the WB3 service.

boiler is 15 years old keeps breaking i can sort most myself by as uz properly know im away alot in the navy and the missus cant even change a light bult let alone fiddle with the boier LOL. Also proberly moving and renting the house out so the brittony isnt practical.

so vallient it is eh

Go for Vaillant and bite his hand off if you think he is ok. Normal price for this would be around £1600-£1800 + VAT I would have thought inc flush :eek:

I would always fit the 831 without question. You are still seemingly getting a good price though. Is this a guaranteed written quote or a estimate on the back of a fag packet :LOL:

proper quote thing he has been to my house already when he was fitting my HOB and i got him to have a quick look then so he knows the layout ill let youz know when i ring him tommorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back