Can you get Legionnaires from header tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I can't find any info on the web. With all the hype about legionnaires, I was wondering could I get it in my house. I have a header tank for the hot water system in the loft. The loft is insulated and the temperature of the room is around 22C.

Any info would be appreciated?

Regards

John

Sponsored Links
Yes, from the cold water storage tank. The stored water should be below 20 degC at all times. This can be achieved easily if the tank is insulated, there is a continuous turn-over of the water contents (the stored water volume is used a minimum of every 24 hours) and the tank has a snap-fit lid and screened overflow and breather. A tepid hot water storage cylinder can also be a breeding ground for legionella.

It's mainly a risk for the elderly or those whose immune systems have been weakened by an existing illness.

There are many misinformed people who believe that you don't get legionella in domestic systems. The UK legislation is based on the Health and Safety at Work Acts and incidents of infections from domestic systems do not cause widespread outbreaks, can not result in prosecutions and the data is not collected.

Legionella is most likely to cause infection when inhaled from a finely devided spray such as a shower.

Thats why hot water should be stored at over 50 C.

F&E tanks are not usually showered from so no significant risk.

My old boss got legionella in the BBC incident and it badly affected him for many years ( unable to drink ! ). He was reasonably fit although drank and smoked cigars! Although working in the area none of the rest of the BBC staff got the desease apart from one who subsequently died.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back