Can you help identify this please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy guys and gals,I come to you a desperate man and am need of your help (& please excuse my terminology)!

A bit of background - I live in a cottage with and upstairs and downstairs toilet in the middle of the house, both toilets have macerators which use the same pipe.

Last night for some reason (and this is where it all went wrong), I decided to take the 'endpiece' (offwhite coloured top bit) in the picture off to give it a clean as there were 'poopy' bits around it. I took it apart, cleaned it, put it all back together and you all know what happened when I used the tap don't you, yup, a fountain of water from the pipe! Yay, don't I feel an idiot! I've taken it apart again, put it back together and tried various things but no joy.

If someone could take a look at the picture and tell me what it is so I can get a replacement, I will be most grateful!

Thanks in advance

Adrian

Sponsored Links
It's an air admittance valve, a good plumbers merchants should be able to supply you with one. Example below.

Air Admittance valve

I suspect something else is wrong somewhere, such as a blockage or restriction downstream somewhere, if water and "poopy bits" :eek: are coming out of it. The idea is the valve opens under suction to let air in to prevent a vacuum forming in the pipe which would hinder water flow and then close to stop foul air exiting into your home.

Thanks Stem, you are a diamond!!

When I say 'poopy' bits, it's small crusty brown deposits around it, nothing major. When I took it apart, there was a little in the top of it as well. Although I think you may be right with the blockage as I do get a sewage smell downstairs sometimes when I run the tap or shower upstairs for a long time. My aim last night was to take it off, clean it up and put some bleach down the pipe to see if it cleared up. I'll try a new valve on it and if it persists then I think a visit from the experts may be needed.

Thanks again for the help, very very much appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back