Can you help with part number.

Sponsored Links
I asked RGE if gas valve could be tested. When it was off he tried to blelow through it but couldn't so he assumed it must be closing properly.
you need a better gas engineer there is a very easy way to do this test but blowing through it is not how you test it

No. CO detectors have never gone off again. Only that once about 6 weeks ago. I've since put them in every room including boiler room. Overkill but I'm in a tricky situation.

I have thought about getting a new company in. My worry there is I clock up more basic investigation bill with someone else.

But your probably right the current engineering company just aren't finding anything. That said Ideal aren't being much help either!

New company?, yes ideal and use the warranty until they rebuild the whole thing and get it sorted.

Sponsored Links
No. CO detectors have never gone off again. Only that once about 6 weeks ago. I've since put them in every room including boiler room. Overkill but I'm in a tricky situation.

I have thought about getting a new company in. My worry there is I clock up more basic investigation bill with someone else.

But your probably right the current engineering company just aren't finding anything. That said Ideal aren't being much help either!
No don't assume it is an overkill, safety comes first, two detectors going off really means you do have some issues and until it gets sorted out best to play safe.

Ideal will do you a Fixed Price Repair deal - one price and their own engineers will keep throwing parts at it until it's fixed, then guarantee the repair for a year. Might be your best option here

Yes Muggles it's £290 and you might have a point. I didn't know they guaranteed it for a year though. Might be the way to go.

While I'm on though,

Is an intermittent fault in the gas valve. Fan or circuit board at all likely or do these components normally just fail.

Yes Muggles it's £290 and you might have a point. I didn't know they guaranteed it for a year though. Might be the way to go.

While I'm on though,

Is an intermittent fault in the gas valve. Fan or circuit board at all likely or do these components normally just fail.
TBH, everything is possible, including let us say if your boiler shuts down, that would mean circuit doing what it does normally like switch off gas valve, continue to purge air for a good few minutes, as well pumps CH water around for a good few minutes after, and when finally all these things time out, and switch off, (pump and fan) there can be an unwanted glitch due to a fault on the board, which can be caused by relays dropping out and causing back emf that in turn may cause sensitive components to trigger a glitch that may briefly kick just the gas valve on for a split second allowing raw gas to escape and this in turn is what may seep out of the boiler seals since now the fan may not be purging any air or gas. So do not rule out a problem with the circuit board, but if one of the engineer was able to monitor the gas valve electrical connections such as hooking up his multimeter or similar tester, like one may use an LEd to signal when gas valve is operating, such like problems can be arrested but obviously only allowed people can do that. Or they could simply swap the PCB at your expense see if the problem goes away. I would chose the monitoring route first as that would rule out any circuit board malfunction and save unnecessary cost, most RGE's keep a stock of boards on them and should have no problem swapping it over to see if the problem goes away, that way they only charge you if the problem goes away, if not they can replace the original board back in.

I'd be surprised if its anything other than gas valve, especially if the original honeywell. The gas valve sticking open at the end of a demand will cause a pretty stinking co ratio or possibly gas valve sticking fully open as the fan speed modulates down will cause the same and cut the boiler out seemingly at the end of a demand. Pretty common issue on promax boilers using the same gas valve.

If the gas valve stuck open it would be constantly flowing gas yes? When would it shut again then?

We get the smell after the boiler goes off but its always been a one shot deal so to speak. Once the smell goes from opening a window for example that's it. You won't ever get the smell again until the boiler has been on and then goes off again.

Its as if its a measured amount of gas its the same smell strength etc. It doesn't always happen but when it does its identical.

If the gas valve stuck open it would be constantly flowing gas yes? When would it shut again then?

We get the smell after the boiler goes off but its always been a one shot deal so to speak. Once the smell goes from opening a window for example that's it. You won't ever get the smell again until the boiler has been on and then goes off again.

Its as if its a measured amount of gas its the same smell strength etc. It doesn't always happen but when it does its identical.
That was an important question I asked you earlier on, like how long does the smell linger on for? you have now answered this.
This still doesn't explain CO detectors going off 6 weeks before all this. How big is your utility room and how far is the flue from any opening, and how about your kitchen? can your detectors gone off due to oven being in use? oven may be producing CO, you never know. Do you use your extractor fan when oven is on? etc etc. Yours might not even be a gas oven, and gas hob can often generate yellow flames when the burner cap is not seated in a proper position, that can produce yellow flames indicating large CO content.

Smell can linger because of below. Heating goes off at 9.30 am. Week or so ago we dropped kids at school walked dog came home at 11.30 am and boiler room was stinking. But see below it can't escape.

Utility room is small about 2.5m square and has a low ceiling 2.1m and has a partitioned toilet in it. Got new pvc windows and door it's like a hermetically sealed box!

Door to kitchen is allways shut so anything that leaks from boiler has no chance of disipating. But then that means we know there is a problem.

Electric oven a fair distance away. We use the extractor.

It doesn't change we definitely have an internal boiler issue. I appreciate the comments but this isn't fumes coming in from outside or drains or cookers it's absolutely something inside the boiler.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back