Can you hire power flushing equipment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to get my system power flushed following adding to the system / extending the house - prior to getting a new boiler fitted. mainly DIY to save on costs tbh. Does not "seem" too difficult a task and wondered if the equipment can be hired (HSS etc) and it is feasible for a competant DIY'er?

Sponsored Links
You can hire the machine, but not the skill or knowledge to use it.

It's one of those jobs where it's easy to think you've done a good job when it hasn't really worked properly. You can push clean water through a rad till it comes out clean but there's a bit more to it that.

How you flush depends on why you're flushing, do you have any problems with your system?

For a cost saving DIY job you might be better off sticking some X400 or X800 in then draining down/refilling.

Sponsored Links
Want to get my system power flushed following adding to the system / extending the house - prior to getting a new boiler fitted. mainly DIY to save on costs tbh. Does not "seem" too difficult a task and wondered if the equipment can be hired (HSS etc) and it is feasible for a competant DIY'er?

In anticipation of a new boiler I hired a flushing machine from Brandon Tool Hire for around £60 for the weekend. I connected it across the pump connections, ran the system with X800 in it for a couple of hours with the boiler fired up, reversed the flow many times, etc and then flushed through each radiator. Basically as per the instructions.

It wasn't a difficult job, but a bit tedious to follow all the flushing sequences as required. It took a full day. My system was working fine before and the water ran fairly clear when I drained it down, but I still got plenty of 'sludge' out with the flushing.

I would certainly do it again, but next time I would put something like X400 in for a week or so ahead of flushing. Overall I'd say do it if you think your competent to set it all up correctly.

The last post seems to have had a system with comparatively little dirt and to have followed the correct procedure in general.

Most of the effectiveness of power flushing depends on the choice of chemicals to deal with the particular problem and the exact techniques and timing.

Its best to use a magnetic filter when power flushing.

Tony

The amount of cleaning required also varies with the type of boiler to be fitted.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back