Can you put a pendant light in a bathroom?

Sponsored Links
Yes, make sure the actual lamp/bulb is outside the zones.

That is it doesn't hang down below the 2.25m. if over a zone.

The recommendation is all lights in bathroom are atleast ip44 however outside of zone 2 technically you don’t need to do this but risk steam causing shorter life.

A skirted battenholder was traditionally put in a bathroom rather than a pendant.

To me, a pendant in a bathroom looks and is ridiculous.

Sponsored Links
The 15th used to recommend a batten lampholder with a "Home Office" skirt.
Some young apprentices used to joke it was the only thing they got close to in a bathroom that had a skirt on!
But even as long ago as the 13th Ed. (1955), the regs were suggesting that the use of totally enclosed light fittings in a bathroom was desirable.

Thanks guys.

Hmm, I actually really like those!
th

The purpose of the zones is that you can't touch whatever it is or splash it while you're in the shower or bath. Regardless of that, if you have very steamy showers having a sealed fitting would help, but along as the fixture didn't say you can't use in the bathroom it should be fine.

And from a nontechnical view, you don't want to be the pendant such that you bang it every time you dry yourself with a towel. In a couple of weeks my wife managed to destroy three light bulbs, before I changed the light to a n enclosed one...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back