Can you take your shoes off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have you ever worked in someone's house and they insist they you take your shoes off.
I was fitting fireplaces and we turned up at this blokes house to fit one in an upstairs bedroom. The first thing he said was we would have to take our shoes off. We presumed he was joking. 'No' he said, 'There's new carpet down, cost a fortune, cant have dirty feet on it.'
He wouldn't even let me put dust sheets down saying they looked a bit dirty, which I guess was true.
So we spent the day back and forth to the van taking them off and putting them on, carrying cast iron fireplace and buckets of muck up the stairs barefoot. Bringing down bags of rubble, any of which would have crushed your feet.
He did give us a whole £10 to share between the two of us at the end of the day.

Sponsored Links
Yes - although it had nothing to do with doing a job

At our last house we had chinese neighours who insisted that everyone who called (friends, family, people doing work etc) took their shoes off in the porch.

I don't think it was for religious reasons though, proably because their whole house was fitted with white carpets.

Would you want your new three grands worth of carpet ruined by a tradesman in dirty boots?

Have some respect, they are your customer, or if you dont like it dont do the job.

JulieL said:
Yes - although it had nothing to do with doing a job

At our last house we had chinese neighours who insisted that everyone who called (friends, family, people doing work etc) took their shoes off in the porch.

I don't think it was for religious reasons though, proably because their whole house was fitted with white carpets.

Tis the custom (my wife is far eastern) ... Not demanding of visitors tho.
Tell you what, the carpets last forever.
Even on marble floors in Suanapore ... see all the flip flops at the door.
;) :D :D

Sponsored Links
I've got almost-white carpets. Everyone who has seen them has said "You're brave!", but I've just taken to religiously removing my shoes. Other people seem to instinctively do it when they see the colour of the carpet so I've never actually said "take you shoes off" to anyone.

NB the 1800W cyclone cleaner was delivered less than an hour after the carpet was fitted, and the "Vanish" carpet stain remover was bought an hour after that :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Here is a tip I was given by a female friend, and I've done it. When you have a carpet fitted, take one of the offcuts. Pour various things (red wine, coffee) on it, and then try out different products. This way when you come to do it for real you know what works!

DanRo said:
So we spent the day back and forth to the van taking them off and putting them on, carrying cast iron fireplace and buckets of muck up the stairs barefoot. Bringing down bags of rubble, any of which would have crushed your feet.

Cast Iron fireplaces.....tons of rubble...your unprotected plates

H&S nightmare

what duty of cae does the homeowner (contracting the work) have to your feet? any sort of insurances for injury and time off work must be out the window if you not only dont have the toetectors, dont even have any covering

Contractors have hands for the job ... walk on them !! :confused: :confused: :D

TOTALLY agree with the householder ... you dirty monkey ..lol

you would be surprised how many people are more important that you are tidy an clean on the job than the finished job , :)

was in a refirb in a posh area of Manc (Yes they are some you cheeky devils ,lol)
householder was a known "FAMILY" ( a real nutcase crim lot )

I use these plastic slip on disposaple (sp?)boot covers , very cheap but even for an estimate I put them on as it shows the householder youre a clean workman
the "Daddy" of the house wanted a new wetroom ,I quote ex amount he was happy about it ,
I think down to the fact , I was calling him MR so/so not mate /pal/ bud........
I ALWAYs keep work professional (it stops the "can you do this moz "MATE" while youre here "scam )
anyway I was doing this job an this Iriosh guy was there doing some work on the rads ..he leaked black sludge all over the shop , when the bloke got home the oriosh guy tried to say it was my mess , cheeky get ...

salmon an cream coloured carpets all ruined ...urrgh ... what a d*ck head

I heard this lad getting a pasting ,as I quickly had an early finish that day

most builders merchants sell a box of 1000 slip on boot covers for not a lot but it impresses the clients

how thats a good tip i use the gloves never thought of the boots

ta very much

DanRo said:
I was fitting fireplaces and we turned up at this blokes house to fit one in an upstairs bedroom. ... 'There's new carpet down, cost a fortune, cant have dirty feet on it.'

Just noticed something here: why did he get the carpet fitted BEFORE replacing the fireplaces? :LOL:

Obviously he doesn't want the carpet ruined, but I do wonder if many people actually think a project through properly before embarking: far too keen to slap on the paint and finishing touches before even considering anything else!!!

Then they realise afterwards that it needs rewiring, they want extra sockets, the lightswitch has to be moved, the heating is in microbore but could do with being renewed in 15mm...

If you take the job then you should respect the customers wishes, as for moaning about the £10 you ungrateful s*d lucky you got anything!

have recently done a few viewings on houses that were up for sale,one person said could we enter via the back door as the front door had no hallway and entered directly into the lounge :eek: we still had to take our shoes off when we entered the kitchen aswell,she had spents £££££££ doing up the property and when i said will you be leaving the wardrobe she said yes as they had a new carpet fitted but cut out a space for the furniture to make it more stable (she should have just secured wardrobe to wall)also she ripped out the stair case and installed solid oak risers but they were not consistent so when you got half way up one was about 2" shorter :confused: not very practical when you get in your stride and have to stagger the offending tread.the back garden was also all landscaped but totally impractical,could'nt even get my car in the drive even though she said her vw lupo fitted o.k.,i think the final nail in the coffin was when she said she had lots of cherry trees next to the drive and was full of birds in the summer :eek: (cherrys + bird poo on paintwork is not good)the appoinment to view the property took 4 days to arrange as she was busy,felt like saying "is shopping more important than selling your house" muppet.

kendor said:
If you take the job then you should respect the customers wishes, as for moaning about the £10 you ungrateful s*d lucky you got anything!

well said

The one and only OMY- said:
felt like saying "is shopping more important than selling your house" muppet.

Sponsored Links
Back