Can you use a wall dimmer switch & pattress wired to a p

Thanks for all your help Plugwash.

I ordered that dual dry lining box from the link you gave me (and most of the other things I need) and it all arrived today. Great recommendation.

Just making sure of one point; you said
(if you are using multiple switches from one supply just link it accross from swtich to switch).
Does that mean that I cut a bit of red wire off from the T&E and make a small link between the Live connection inside the double dimmer to connect power to both switches (seems odd they are not wired together internally)?

Also, where does the earth go from the 1mm T&E inside the dimmer?, it is a plastic dimmer and has no earth screw. Just Live, Load and Slave.

Sponsored Links
if you are using a plastic dimmer on a plastic box then the earth does not need to be connected to either the dimmer or the box but all earths must still be connected to each other. Sometimes the box will provide a terminal for this purpose if not use a peice of terminal block.

So, just to check, I use a piece of terminal block to hold just the one earth wire coming from the T&E (there will be no other earth wires in the dimmer).

Also
Do I cut a bit of red wire off (from spare 1mm T&E) and make a small link between the Live connection of one switch inside the double dimmer to the Live of the the other switch inside the same dimmer?

Thanks!

Hi,

I've hit a snag. Now I have cut out the plasterboard for one socket, I see the plasterboard on that wall is 32mm deep - and no good for dry-lining box. Unlike my other outside wall which the plasterboard is about 16mm deep, this one has two layers of plasterboard.
I don't think a 45mm dry-lining box would be any better.

If I buy some metal flush socket boxes, how would I fix them in a plasterboard hole? do you screw them into the sides? It's at least 120mm before any further solid structure is felt behind the insulation (and that may not be very strong - I can't tell).

Can you also answer my previous question too please?

Sponsored Links
yes you use a short link of 1mm T&E to make the link between the incoming live terminals.

if you have no outgoing earths (i personally don't like to see flex used for fixed wiring but i don't belive its actually forbidden anymore) then yes just cap off the earth wire with a peice of terminal block.

as to mounting it seems like you have a pretty horrid wall structure, you may have to cut back until you find wooden uprights and screw a cross peice that you can mount your metal boxes to. alternatively if you are very carefull with a knife you may be able to cut away the back layer of plasterboard beside your hole to make room for the lugs of a dryline box.

Remeber if you use metal boxes then the boxes need to be earthed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back