Dimmer Switch Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I am diy'ing in a bedroom and wanted to see if I can figure out how to attach a lot of wires from wallamps & other dimmers etc..Currently the wall lights do not work. I guess I may have to call an electrician for this, but any help is greatly appreciated before i do!

To explain:
- My dimmer switch is standard with 3 ports: C, L1 and L2
- There was one roof lamp in the room from before (I have removed this with wires isolated in box already). I did not remove wiring in switch back-box since I did not know which one to remove...my bad I know!

The cables in back box are:
- 3 cables with 6 wires come from 2 wall lights: blue, brown and earth.
- 1 cable with 3 wires come from ??: This one is old and has White!, Blue and Red wires. Could this be to roof lamp or Electrity incomming?
- 1 cable with 2 wires come from ??: This one is old and has Black and Red wires. Or this may be to roof lamp or Electricity incomming?

From before all of the blue wires (and one black) were somehow bundled together behind the switch. There were a few red/brown / one white inside the dimmer switch, but then again this did not work..so perhaps pointless information..

Thanks a lot for help, and excuse my ignorance!

Rgds, Henrik

Sponsored Links
Your explanation sounds like very old wiring with no earths, best call in a pro.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back