candidate a druggie?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So answers are being asked as to whether a tory leadership candidate partook of illegal substances whilst a student.

The point is does it matter now what someone did a long time back?
will it make it hard for that person to denounce other users or will he be able to speak from experience?

Should those in power be seen to be whiter than white or just accept that there is a rule for one and another for others?

Personally, i feel that although it might well be in the past( if proven true)that it could still be a case of who the hell is he to preach.
In my opinion drug taking is serious enough a reason not to allow him to run for the leadership.
What do others think?

Sponsored Links
Couldn't agree more, I took lots in my youth and for this reason I have never run for leader of the Conservatives.

petewood said:
Couldn't agree more, I took lots in my youth and for this reason I have never run for leader of the Conservatives.
and now you are older and wiser are you ashamed of your past?

Well, I'm in two minds...

If it was smoking marijuana like a whiney lefty hippy, then he definitely shouldn't be allowed to become the leader of the Tory party...

However, if it was snorting a line of cocaine off a prostitute's inner thigh whilst being rogered with a radish, then I would say that should be taken into account as a positive reason, to improve his chances of leading our great party...

Doubley so if it was a thai ladyboy. ;)

Seriously though, it appears he was into Class A drugs, that's not good. If it was "I tried marijuana once but didn't inhale", then OK he's lying, but at least it isn't so bad. But "WAAAAA, I JUST SMOKED ME A WHOLE BUNCH O'CRACK!" really isn't that good. This guy will potentially be representing us on the global stage.

Let other countries have their crime-backed and corrupt politicians with questionable histories. Our history of scandals is positively saintly compared to some of our neighbours. And Class A drugs are not "part of the normal university experience"... alcohol yes. Marijuana, most try it at least once. But not class A drugs! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
the thing is to even say it's just experimenting when one knows it is wrong is questionable, to take it to an extreme you could have Gary Glitter and Jonathan King arguing that they were only "experimenting" with youngsters.

Come on guys he only smoked the odd spliff and after all, he is a tory, blimy! if that's the only skeleton in his closet he's doing purdy good.
Ha Ha! its funny the labour party and the tories have swopped place's.
:LOL: :LOL:

Richardp said:
Come on guys he only smoked the odd spliff and after all, he is a tory, blimy! if that's the only skeleton in his closet he's doing purdy good.
Ha Ha! its funny the labour party and the tories have swopped place's.
:LOL: :LOL:
Richard is the "odd spliff" acceptable behaviour for a future party leader? would it bother you if your kids came home and announced they'd experimented with mary joanna?(even if she IS a nice girl)

Pop quiz, hotshot:

1) What's worse, a doctor who did drugs as a student or an MP who did drugs as a student?

2) The same question, but the Chairman of the BMA vs the PM?

Depends on their age and i'd feel the same way if it was alcohol.
how would you feel if your kids came home and said they'd been experimenting with vodka ? well lets say beer cos vodka would be more like a stronger drug than weed.

AdamW said:
Pop quiz, hotshot:

1) What's worse, a doctor who did drugs as a student or an MP who did drugs as a student?

2) The same question, but the Chairman of the BMA vs the PM?
question 1 could be tricky as the only acceptable use for drugs would be of medical use and if the student doctor took them to allieviate a medical condition in order to test it's properties as a future painkiller or the like then that may be acceptable but for recreational purposes then no.

question 2 if either had used drugs for recreational purposes then their positions of influence should be questioned.

kendor said:
petewood said:
and now you are older and wiser are you ashamed of your past?

No, it was great. :D

The reason I ask is that you can bathe in LSD, eat smack-flakes for breakfast and wipe your bottom with coca leaves from birth and still be an MP, just so long as you aren't in prison at the time... However a medical student can't have so much of a puff without the risk of never being allowed to practice medicine.

(although it would seem once you're a doctor you can do what you like, get reprimanded and eventually get back on the list)

As to the "experimenting", a med-student in my confidence once nicked morphine from the drugs-store and injected herself because she was feeling rather down... made her feel even worse because the second she did it she realised if caught her career would be over. Now, you can see why they are careful about this sort of thing, imagine if doctors did that habitually, they have access to everything including heroine.

kendor said:
the thing is to even say it's just experimenting when one knows it is wrong is questionable, to take it to an extreme you could have Gary Glitter and Jonathan King arguing that they were only "experimenting" with youngsters.

Nonsense, smoking pot is only wrong in the eyes of the law. What those two did is morally wrong and harmful to others.

petewood said:
Nonsense, smoking pot is only wrong in the eyes of the law. What those two did is morally wrong and harmful to others.

And whilst I think pot smoking is wrong (it turns many people into boring gets who think they are sooooooo funny and sooooooo interesting), I think you would be hard pressed to find a policeman who would arrest the pothead and leave the nonce alone.

I've even heard a policeman say "at least stoners don't go out and have fights" after breaking up a brawl between a couple of chavs who couldn't handle their drink.

AdamW said:
petewood said:

And whilst I think pot smoking is wrong (it turns many people into boring gets who think they are sooooooo funny and sooooooo interesting), I think you would be hard pressed to find a policeman who would arrest the pothead and leave the nonce alone.

I've even heard a policeman say "at least stoners don't go out and have fights" after breaking up a brawl between a couple of chavs who couldn't handle their drink.

Well your right about the boring and funny thing but isnt that like walking into the pub sober when all your mates are ****ed, they think that their soooooo funny.

Sponsored Links
Back