Cannt get dado rail on stairs to straighten. Going crazy!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm trying to do wainscott paneling on my stairs and hallway and I cannot get thr end of the dado rail to meet and come straight.

I've worked the angle out to about 53 degrees or there abouts, I've tired cuts on the mitre saw with a sacrificial fence and can't get it.

Can anyone offer advice as I've been at this for a couple of days now, I'm going mad.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
get the ends to the corner lay one bit on top off the other and transfer the point on the top they intersect onto the skirting thats your angle

get the ends to the corner lay one bit on top off the other and transfer the point on the top they intersect onto the skirting thats your angle
I've tried this they still don't seem to march up. They go up at a different angle to what my dado rail is. I'm really really stuck

Sponsored Links
they both need to be cut to the exact same angle as in 48 degrees divx2= 24% or there about or if you prefer 180-42=138 div by 2=69[i think :unsure: ;)

they both need to be cut to the exact same angle as in 48 degrees divx2= 24% or there about or if you prefer 180-42=138 div by 2=69[i think :unsure: ;)
Thanks for that.

So the angle I put the dado rail on must be wrong as I tried a 70 degree cut earlier and it was a fair bit off. How can I find the angle with it currently on the wall? I have a trend digital angle finder.

My wife worked out the angles so she must of either worked it out wrong or mixed it up

1000022650.jpg

probaly 42 degree stairs so 42 from 90= 48 as above 90 degrees you deduct 90 as mitre saws are marked 0-90dgrees

So I discovered which I didn't realise was the bottom of my rail is not 1m from top step I must of tried to leave room to cut away later.

It's a bit up the rail, so I cut this at 21 degrees and it was almost right but a gap at the top of the mitre. Tried 23 and 24 and having the same issue.

Do I need to take the dado rail off and start fresh tomorrow or leave it on and keep working on it?

This also leaves the rail higher on the stairs than the rest of my hallway which is 1m from my skirting board.

Attachments

• 20240221_181753.jpg
    20240221_181753.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240221_181804.jpg
    20240221_181804.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 27
just remember both must be identical angle otherwise one cut face will be longer than the other

The way I did it, when I did mine, was to put the horizontal in place, then draw a line along top and bottom. Repeat the exercise, with the one intended to meet it, at an angle. The two pairs of lines will intersect, top and bottom, join those two points of interesection with another line, using a straight edge.

Cut the ends of your two pieces of dado, to perfectly match the angle of that last line you drew.

In pure frustration and defeat I've ripped it off the wall to start fresh tomrorow.

Can anyone offer advice in very simple terms where I measure to get my 1m line top and bottom and where i go from there?

Do I start with my horizontal and mitre it to the angle then go up or do I do my vertical portion up at the angle first with the mitre and make a piece to suit?

is there dado in the hallway top and or bottom and what height is that ??
Normally its from a line along the nose edge as the datum point but cosmetically what looks right with the dado in relation to other level off stairs sections

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back