Dado rail and stair windings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit dado rails in a hallway that I recently decorated.

The stairs go up in a straight line, then there is a square "landing" and next 2 treds run to the left.

stairs.jpg

From the first floor downwards- I guess that I need to run horizontally in to the party wall (at the same level as the first floor dado). The return part, above the square platform/winding- should that be horizontal before running into the section that runs parallel with the lower part of the staircase?

My gut instinct is that it should. If not, I will have a weird compound angle in the corner...

Feedback is appreciated.

Tnx.

Sponsored Links
My gut instinct is that it should. If not, I will have a weird compound angle in the corner...

Feedback is appreciated.

When I laid out mine, I marked up the top and bottom horizontals, then when it came to the stairs.....

I measured up from the centre of each step (so it was an average), the same height, as from the floor to the above horizontals. Where the horizontals and stair section intersected, was where the two met and at what ever angle. Mine was made more complex, by there being a window sill to cross, at both bottom and top.

Sponsored Links
you cannot have a compound angle you must have 2 seperate transitions otherwise its a bodge as the angle bit is far longer

When I laid out mine, I marked up the top and bottom horizontals, then when it came to the stairs.....

I measured up from the centre of each step (so it was an average), the same height, as from the floor to the above horizontals. Where the horizontals and stair section intersected, was where the two met and at what ever angle. Mine was made more complex, by there being a window sill to cross, at both bottom and top.

Yeah, I plan to use the middle of the tread.
you cannot have a compound angle you must have 2 seperate transitions otherwise its a bodge as the angle bit is far longer

Thanks. Hence I said that the compound angle would look like pants.

My only concern is that, walking down the stairs, there are three steps to the square windings base. Assuming that I run that section horizontally the area above the windings base will be about 40cm higher.

If I run that section parallel with the treads, I will definitely end up with a compound angle.

To eliminate the possibility of a compound angle, I would need to make sure that the section going down the stairs meets it at the corner, but because of the windings base, that would not be possible. It would imply that the long length going down the stairs would need to be much lower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back