Canopy soffits cap or replace with pvc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is URGENT as I'm having my fascias and soffits replaced with pvc ones right now. The installers have asked me if I want to cap or replace the underside (soffit?) of the canopy with pvc or just cap over it? My canopy is about 0.7m by 5m.

On one hand the pvc soffits are quite thin and I'm afraid it might bend if I was to push up against it. The installer also said that the current wooden soffits might be sitting on top of my window ceiling (my window sticks out of the wall and part of the canopy sits on top of it) and if he was to remove the timber there might be a chance that it will disturb the plaster.

On the other hand, I have a suspicion that the installer is saying this because it is hard work to replace all the wood on the underside (he has to remove the gallow brackets etc) and capping over will be a quicker and easier job.

So what do you guys think? What is the usual practice?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Everything's finished. Decided to cap it in the end since I had a look inside the canopy and figured that it will probably disturb the interior of my house if they were to remove the timber soffits and the timber is still good anyway since they are never really exposed to the elements. Everything else is replaced with pvc.

Whilst the scaffolding is still up I decided to climb up to have a look at the repointing work on the gables. I found that there are already a few (every half a metre?) hairline cracks on the mortar (see photos). Is this normal? It was done yesterday and it rained shortly after they've done with the repointing. Could this be the cause of the cracks?

Attachments

• IMG_20160927_164937.jpg
    IMG_20160927_164937.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20160927_164929.jpg
    IMG_20160927_164929.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 107
Verges should not be repointed, as it will just fall off after a few winters.

Cracking is normally due to building sand being used instead of a blend of building and sharp sand.

Sponsored Links
Verges should not be repointed, as it will just fall off after a few winters.

Cracking is normally due to building sand being used instead of a blend of building and sharp sand.

Thanks woody

All of the old mortars were taken out beforehand though. I guess that's not good enough?

Repointing is leaving the existing mortar in place and going over the top of it. If all the mortar was removed and replaced with new, then that's OK.

The cracks are shrinkage which is not ideal, but it's common

We always cap canopy undersides with hollow. He's right the existing plywood runs over the window. There really isn't any need to remove the soffit. Gallows bracket would squash even the strongest of soffit.

We always cap canopy undersides with hollow. He's right the existing plywood runs over the window. There really isn't any need to remove the soffit. Gallows bracket would squash even the strongest of soffit.

I had a look at the inside of the canopy after they opened up the ends and the existing timber soffits do indeed run over the window. The PVC soffits are very filmsy. We decided to cap it and the end result looks nice.

If I had the money to regularly maintain the timber fascias then I think timber is better. It's stronger and it looks like it requires better craftsmanship, having to cut everything to the right shape and size. The plastics just comes out of a factory and if there are any joints or bad looking parts they just cover it up with small plastic strips.

Went up and had a look this morning and found that they have missed a section at the top of the valley! From the photo you can see a fairly large gap without mortar.

Attachments

• IMG_20160928_082939_new.jpg
    IMG_20160928_082939_new.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 94

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back