Can't find the meaning of an acronym

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, that is you and Bobby.
What a pathetic and puerile response.
It was him, Miss. :rolleyes:

Because that is its name today.
That's a statement of fact, not an explanation.
If I asked why is the earth round, would it be an acceptable explanation to respond, "because it is"?
You really are having trouble with the English language.

Were these new words something he made up for things which had names already?
That is irrelevant. Young people replace perfectly acceptable words for new ones.
See Sir Gal's examples in his provided links.

Because that was my extreme example of someone making a mistake and being wrong.
I could just as validly used someone calling an ant a cupboard.
Correcting mistakes is perfectly acceptable, if it is a mistake. Insisting on your choice of words for others' use is not acceptable.
If I wish to use uma formiga, or ایک چیونٹی, that is my choice.

I am upset at incorrect terms becoming commonplace because of ignorance and then being adopted by dictionary compilers who do not care and merely give in. Yes, I understand their excuse for doing this.

This is an example:

View attachment 231094

Terribly does not mean 'very'.
I don't suppose dictionary compilers give a giraffe's arse an ant's anus about you being upset.
They recognise that language evolves. if you can't accept that, hard luck.

Sponsored Links
It will be arbitrary and that's the point - how can you objectively say when did we start to use words incorrectly?
We can definitely say when words are used incorrectly now.
That is your subjective opinion. Words did not materialise out of thin air - language evolves and so do words.
You can't say when words are used incorrectly, if the meaning has changed, it's changed. If you don't like it and are upset by its evolution, who gives a giraffe's arse an ant's anus.

Sponsored Links
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back