Capped 15mm gas pipe stub, in a strange location

Sponsored Links
Back in the mist's of time to get a 'free' gas supply from the gas board you had to have a certain number of gas points.
On older properties you can still occasionally find oddly placed capped connection especially gas poker points!
Having said that I'm certain that was long gone by the 80s.

Sponsored Links
Installer needed and straight connector but only had T’s in his box so used that .?

This is my best guess on the reason for this, at the moment....

In the electrical industry, wiring buried in walls, has to be run in safe zones, and in some areas marked by having obvious accessories visible on the surface. This 22mm gas pipe, is buried in the wall, not in a place anyone might at all suspect there might be a gas pipe. Might this short stub of pipe, be there as a permanent way to identify that there is a pipe buried in the plaster?

This is my best guess on the reason for this, at the moment....

In the electrical industry, wiring buried in walls, has to be run in safe zones, and in some areas marked by having obvious accessories visible on the surface. This 22mm gas pipe, is buried in the wall, not in a place anyone might at all suspect there might be a gas pipe. Might this short stub of pipe, be there as a permanent way to identify that there is a pipe buried in the plaster?
At the risk of asking a daft question, how do you know for certain the 15mm is gas other than the general proximity to where you know you have 22mm gas pipe runs?

If I saw a capped 15mm sticking out the wall in an understairs cupboard, especially in an older one bathroom property, my assumption in the absense of any other information would be that someone has put a mains water pipe there with a view to doing a downstairs loo conversion if the cupboard is big enough.

As for permanently identifying the pipe, if the fitter had gone to such trouble to do that, you'd expect he'd have taken a few seconds more to write the word GAS on the stop-end.

You say other properties were done at the same time, so do they all have this feature?

Installer needed and straight connector but only had T’s in his box so used that .?

Feasible - but why poke the fitting through the wall?

Can only think the Installer was asked to fit it for some future proposed gas requirement, that never materialised.

At the risk of asking a daft question, how do you know for certain the 15mm is gas other than the general proximity to where you know you have 22mm gas pipe runs?

It is inline with, and a foot above the wall to floor visible bend. I can also trace the route with a metal detector, so zero doubt.

There are certainly no water pipes anywhere near, and there was a new downstairs toilet installed, during the refurb.

I have no access to investigate other properties.

Feasible - but why poke the fitting through the wall?

Exactly, which was why I was wondering if it might have been a deliberate action, to help ID the pipe, buried in the plaster.

Can only think the Installer was asked to fit it for some future proposed gas requirement, that never materialised.

As I suggested, there is a similar stub, poking out of the plaster, now hidden behind a kitchen unit, which was obviously installed to allow a gas fridge to be installed.

As I suggested, there is a similar stub, poking out of the plaster, now hidden behind a kitchen unit, which was obviously installed to allow a gas fridge to be installed.
Separate gas powered freezer then? Either that or as @roguetrader says, a gas tumble dryer. Only other explanation is they simply put a point there because the pipes were going past anyway, on the basis that some new bit of gas powered kit might emerge in the future and be suitable to go in there. We live in a different world now regarding gas use.

We used to have a gas point in our kitchen, it was for a gas boiler, which was about the size of a big urn. It was used for boiling washing.
It was there during the 50's and 60's. I can't remember when it was taken away, maybe in the 90's when the new gas service pipe went in.

be for the gas radio stored under the stairs they were a bit bigger than a standard transistor radio ;)

and

junk.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back