Capping wooden fascia with upvc- good practice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I got some builders around the other day for a quote on some work which included I thought replacing some wooden facia boards which have very peeled paint and could be rotten. The builders said they would just cap the boards with upvc- my question is- is this good practice or just a quick, temporary fix?

cheers!

Sponsored Links
They wooden baods should be removed. Capping is a bodge.

The wooden boards will hold mositure and will rot beneath the upvc is one reason why, there are no doubt many others.

It may be worth inspecting them to make sure they don't just need a clean and re-paint.

If they are decayed, then they should be removed so that you can check the timbers behind for any decay as well.

iwaters is right, it's a bodge.

The wooden boards will hold mositure and will rot beneath the upvc is one reason why, there are no doubt many others.

All of that is wrong

Capping is a perfectly acceptable method

Capped timber does not hold any water, in fact it does not get any water to hold in the first place, and it continues to breathe as normal

Sponsored Links

All of that is wrong

Capping is a perfectly acceptable method.

Capped timber does not hold any water, in fact it does not get any water to hold in the first place, and it continues to breathe as normal

I don't know who's right or who's wrong as far as whether or not it's a bodge...

What I do know is that complete removal of the existing boards is a lot more work and therefore a lot more costly than over cladding.

I did mine a few years ago, and was soon regretting it!

Cut out any rotted timber then treatment, you will get a solid straight fixing onto the old fascia boards, You can always tell when the old fascia is removed, the upvc fascia got rippled effect

If the gutter is in the wrong poistion because of the new fascia boards then fit the roof underlay support tray

Cut out any rotted timber then treatment, you will get a solid straight fixing onto the old fascia boards, You can always tell when the old fascia is removed, the upvc fascia got rippled effect

When I did mine I used 18mm upvc boards, designed to go straight onto the rafters. They look fine with no ripples. I can imagine if using the 9mm boards designed for overcladding it would look a right dog's dick!

Even if building from new, it is required that a timber base board is fitted before capping in plastic. So I can't understand why it should be deemed a bodge

When I did mine I used 18mm upvc boards, designed to go straight onto the rafters. They look fine with no ripples. I can imagine if using the 9mm boards designed for overcladding it would look a right dog's dick!
Normally you will get away with 18mm thickness but depending on the distance of roof trusses

quote]Capping is a perfectly acceptable method

[/quote]Really can't understand this comment from woody.

The capping plastic is going straight onto the outer face of existing boards. Since this face is covered, how can it continue to breathe normally ? That apart, surface tension between the two surfaces will trap moisture present.

There's no water to start with and there will be ventilation on the other side of the timber fascia boards via the soffit vents

Really can't understand this comment from woody.

The capping plastic is going straight onto the outer face of existing boards. Since this face is covered, how can it continue to breathe normally ? That apart, surface tension between the two surfaces will trap moisture present.

Because there is air behind. Its not like sealing sardines in a tin

Sometimes replacement is necessary if fascias have deteriorated beyond a certain point but that's rare and the huge majority of plastic fascia work is capping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back