Capping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

During the rewire of our property, our spark has only capped the light drops but not the cables that run to the sockets. The chases for these sockets are behind the skirting boards which he has not removed. He seems to have chopped the plaster behind the skirting boards.

I get the feeling he is trying to save on capping but before picking his work I'd like your opinion on this.
I've also noticed that the capping used for the light switch drops is sometimes not continuous (ie a gap if 2cm between lengths of capping). Again this gives me the impression that he wants to utilize odd lengths of capping.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Dont know what is the normal practise in Andorra.
Maybe you should get skiing rather than playing on Internet forums ;)

If you post on Electrics Outside of the UK then someone may be able to comment.

If you prefer to edit your location and resubmit your post you may get a more helpful respose.

PS Yes I have had a bad day :!:

You're complaining about lengths of capping not being continuous? :eek:

There's no requirement to even use capping so bear that in mind if you complain.

Sponsored Links
Capping is not an absolute requirement.

The capping or conduit is often fitted prior to plastering to ensure no damage occurs to the cables when the walls are plastered (plasters trowel etc).

If it is a rewire, there is little chance of damage during making good.

No need to cap behind skirting at all.

It is common practice to use some capping or conduit, but I would not be happy if someone came up to me and questioned why I had missed an inch or two.

Tee hee :LOL:
I've had a Stella or three and am feeling much better...

OK, there's nothing to say that plastic capping has to be fitted, at all, ever.
The capping is there more as an aid so the cable lays flat against the wall and forms a protection against the plasterer digging into the insulation with his trowel.

Its a nice to have if (later) a rewire is carried out because (sometimes) you can just pull the old cable out from the capping and pull a new length in without having to chase into the wall and replaster.

Personally, I think what he has done is a little tacky as capping is pretty cheap but you'd spoil a beautiful relationship if you were to challenge him on it.
If he is cutting corners on this then there may be much bigger things to look out for.

Obviously not - Mine appeared first :D

And I have been on the Vino Tinto :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back