problem : A gap between bottom of socket and skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The electrician has put several new sockets in my house, having chopped out the internal breeze blocks first. New skirting boards were fitted, but there is a small gap, approx 10mm wide between the bottom of the socket and the top of the skirting board.

This is the case with about 5 sockets.

How should I fill this gap please ?

The depth is of course the same as the depth for the socket back-box, ie about 30mm.

I know there are no live bare wires behind, but I will be renting the house out, so don't want a child of a tenant pocking something in one of the gaps.

I thought about a thin piece of plywood, cut up and stuck under the socket, then paint this to match the emulsion on the walls .. but any other ideas would be appreciated.

thanks !

Sponsored Links
Turn off all power, loosen faceplate from wall, and fill with plaster.

Patching plaster/hardwall/bonding coat - anything really. You may not need a final finishing coat, just filler would do.

The electrician has put several new sockets in my house, having chopped out the internal breeze blocks first. New skirting boards were fitted, but there is a small gap, approx 10mm wide between the bottom of the socket and the top of the skirting board.
Unless this is a very large old house with very high skirting board there should be a bigger gap than 10mm, although I suppose it is ok.

Just shoddy workmanship I'm afraid.
This is the case with about 5 sockets.
I presume you mean the others are touching???
How should I fill this gap please ?
By calling the electrician and telling him to do the job properly.
I thought about a thin piece of plywood, cut up and stuck under the socket, then paint this to match the emulsion on the walls .. but any other ideas would be appreciated.
You need a normal filler - easifill is best.

Just shoddy workmanship I'm afraid.This is the case with about 5 sockets.

It may not the electrician's fault. First fix is done a long time before the skirting boards are fitted.

It has happened to me a couple of times where the sockets have been set at the same height as others in the house and, at the last minute, the customer has decided to have deep skirting fitted - with consequences such as those described.

Sponsored Links
Fill it with decorators caulk. The nozzle is long and thin enough to get in the gap. It's only a rental.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back