car insurance rip off

Sponsored Links
PS, my present car was valued at £300, (fully comp insurance) and guess what?? They gave me a £300 excess on my insurance. So effectively, if someone TBoned my car ( and I wasn't at fault) I'd potentially end up with no car and no insurance payout. (hope I get whiplash though or a broken arm/leg if it did happen) ;) ;)

If you weren't at fault, you would get paid out by the other party's insurance.
Or if they weren't insured by the uninsured motorists pot.

PS, my present car was valued at £300, (fully comp insurance) and guess what?? They gave me a £300 excess on my insurance. So effectively, if someone TBoned my car ( and I wasn't at fault) I'd potentially end up with no car and no insurance payout. (hope I get whiplash though or a broken arm/leg if it did happen) ;) ;)

Interesting what you've done there with your insurance because I've done something similar
I would despair at the thought of a nice car getting dented in a supermarket car park. Which it has. So I drive around in a nice looking Fiat Punto which I paid £350. I am prepared to to loose it if I crash but I will claim off the others insurance if it's their fault. If its my fault then I will not claim and right the car off because in fact it may be good for spares etc.. I have a £650 excess on it fully comp, protected no claim bonus for £150. It started in the 1st year on offer at £95 and has gone up to £150 over 2 years.
After all even in a small repairable crash the insurance company will right it off and give me some of my £350 back but I would no doubt have had to pay a much higher premium. Which meant that I would have paid several times over, no doubt.
I would not use the insurance people to fight my claim so that I would not have to pay the £650.
Not sure whether my way of doing things will work out but hope.

If it's your fault, there could potentially be a claim anyway from the third party, so your insurance would be affected whether you claim for your car or not.

Not fighting the claim via the Insurance people wouldn't make any difference, the fact that you have a £650 excess means that they would deduct it from your payout and you would need to collect it yourself anyway. ( usually via the Legal Protection option )

Sponsored Links
Well if you want to moan about it.

In the kitcar, last year i paid about £520, end of the year I got a renewal for about the same (within about £20) which I thought was a fair price, but it was winter and I had just bought the house, let it lapse. 6 weeks later I rang up to take up the renewal and was told I would have to be requoted as it had been more than a month, fair enough, untill they came back with the quote.

£1600! Gone up by nearly double in a fortnight.

I sorned the car and am going to revist it in march!

Daniel

I protect my NCD on my insurance but after reading this article I wonder if it's worth it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/ca...rance-discount-leave-paying-more.html[/QUOTE]

Well, I've read it, but it's fundamentaly flawed, How can Santander give 385 % ????
that looks like the Mail adding their twist on it,the same article from supermarket.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/news/maximise-premium-savings-with-or-without-an-NCD/0013554/

Try 'Admiral' they are the first insurance company that has'nt taken me for a mug at renewal time. Recently got a renewal notice from them, went to 'go compare' and 'confused' and could'nt find cheaper. Rang 'admiral' to renew and asked for a further discount, and they knocked off £20. :)

Daily driver (pug306) ended up being with quikfit as the cheapest price comparison site result that I thoght had a half decent chance of not going bump within the year.
Call centres in glasgow, which when your calling to set it up is as userfreindly as if it where in india but a change is as good as a break!

Daniel

Alumni, seat belts cause injury, no belt causes more.
I know. but no one, and i mean no one was even the slightest bit hurt.

My point was though - i didn't claim. And they said it was for having to wear a seat belt (or words to that effect).
I'm fcked off with the claims chasers ringing me with fictitious claims/payments.

Witnessed a tailending a couple of years ago. Driver jumped out, waving his arms about and shaking his head in disbelief.
Paramedic arrived - made him climb back into his car, in the midlle of the road, so they could spend the next 40 minutes trying to stretcher him out.
Ethnic taxi driver, so you can imagine the claim that went in there.

That paramedic must be moonlighting for the claims companies.

vauxhall astra renewal came in this week. checked few quotes online- aviva £221 / direct line £440 /AA £178 so will stick with present, royal sun alliance at £183 as they have only £100 excess as opposed to others wanting £300 to £400 excess. This quote is only £15 more than last year, normally I change co. each year as it does not pay to just renew automatically.

No point in looking to the government for help as some have suggested, they are in on the scam. If they really wanted to stamp out uninsured drivers in the UK they would have the third party insurance attached to the MOT or road tax as they do in some other countries. The tax cash cow from drivers is too big for them to even consider it.

Don't forget there are three scammers in every insurance quote, the government, the broker and the underwriter. Of them all the broker is the odious little **** that is taking the **** and hiking premiums to cover their own failings.

I had a ding, not my fault and my ins doubled, i wasn't even in the fookin car.but i got paid out didn't i.................?

Sponsored Links
Back