Car left idling now loss of power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just got back from a camping trip and I've been using the car running on tick over to charge my mobile phone. Now when I drive the car I have noticed a lack of power in the lower rev range of most gears especially when going uphill. In addition the orange engine management light is now on and the car is running at around 25 mpg and I normally get about 45.

My car is a 2004 Fiat Punto 1.3.

Any help on what I should check is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I think you have probably goosed the lambda sensor in the exhaust by doing this......your car will need to have its fault code read (its stored in the on board computer) by someone with diagnostic equipment and the lamp turned off again.
If your luck is really in, the fault could rectify itself.
John :)

Ok, thanks mate. I'm going to have a crack at replacing it. Do you know if it's a hard job, or should I take it to the garage?

Its pehaps wise to get the fault code read first, and this will tell you if it is the sensor thats the problem. The garage will then turn off the light again.
Anyway, lambda sensors can be fiercely tight, but if access is good you may be able to get a spanner onto it.
Often there are 4 wires going to the sensor - you can only use a socket if you are prepared to cut the wires away first!

Sponsored Links
Great, just took it down to the garage and they plugged it in. It read O2 sensor pre cat so looks like you were right. Booked it in next Thursday. Do you / anyone know what the likely cost might be as if it's expensive I'll probably try it myself. Also is it okay to use a Unversal fitting one?

I tend to steer clear of the universal ones, but there again main stealer prices for these are ridiculous.
Go to a friendly motor factor with your reg number and see what they say, or failing that contact Gendan Diagnostics for the right application. It depends on how long you can wait for the snail mail!
Prices are usually between £30 and £50 for after market sensors.
PS absolutely not trying to be patronising here but you wouldn't need the engine on to charge your phone.

.... you wouldn't need the engine on to charge your phone.
.... unless, like mine, the lighter /accessory socket is only live when the ignition is switched on - it doesn't even work with the key in the 'back' position :evil:

Aye, fair comment mate - on my vehicles, the 12v socket comes live on the 'accs' first position on the ignition switch.

Sponsored Links
Back