fiat punto misfire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had the head gasket replaced on my daughters fiat punto (x reg).
I believe some work was done on a piston.
It now has a slight misfire when idling. seems ok once moving and in gear
Before I go back to the garage could someone advise me if the misfire
could be related to the work already done.
The car was only bought 4 months ago. Beginning to regret it !!

thanks

Sponsored Links
I dont know if this helps

but i have a punto, W reg and i too regret ever buying one!! although now im quite stuck as ive spent so much putting things right on it, i cant afford to trade it

Ive had the headgasket done and i have a slight missfire (irratic idling) Ive just decided to live with it as before i had the head gasket done it was the same

ive also just had to have a new clutch and the speedometer has just broken!

I had a fiesta for 10 years and i never took it to the garage other than the MOT's, ive had a fiat 5 months and its been in the garage 4 times so far and the MOT's due next month :evil: :evil:

My daughters punto is petrol

We didnt have the idling problem before the head gasket went.

Ive sat in the car and keep expecting it to stall but it doesn't. It
manages to keep ticking over.

any advice/info appreciated

one addistional bit of info. My daughter tells me that it also struggles
a bit when going up hill if the revs drop
ta

Sponsored Links
I have worked on the mk2 punto before with the same sort of faults.

1st common thing to fail is the ignition coils, especially when put under load. I ended up replacing both on the car i worked on, also had to replace the plugs as one had failed. Only other thing to check is the HT leads but usually dont have many problems with them.

There is a way of testing the coils, i can give you more information if you said which engine it is. You can check them properly with a multimeter for resistance easily enough or the only other way is a bit handfisted and i presume will put an intermittent fault in the ecu; but that is to unplug the connector and try starting the engine. If it starts and runs for roughly 10 seconds that coil should be 'ok' then try the same for the other coil.

If you need any more information then i am happy to try and help

bluemoon said:
My daughters punto is petrol

We didnt have the idling problem before the head gasket went.

Ive sat in the car and keep expecting it to stall but it doesn't. It
manages to keep ticking over.

any advice/info appreciated

one addistional bit of info. My daughter tells me that it also struggles
a bit when going up hill if the revs drop
ta

Not to worry you, but mine started with struggling up hills, only when cold at low revs, no pickup at all, the the clutch went, then the power steering, then the handbrake cable and then the spedo!! all in 1 1/2 months

Bite the bullet, sell it and buy something more reliable, thats what im doing this weekend after spending 600 putting stuff right and it still feelslike it will brake at any opportunity!!

pug/andy, Thanks for your replies.

The car went back to the garage who seem to have sorted out the misfiring
problem. We only got it back yesterday so we are hoping thats the last of our troubles.
If we have any more trouble I think I will be doing the same as Andy.

Thanks again for your replies

steve

Back