Carbide scraper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following a certain someone's post on here about carbide scrapers. I have realised that I don't have one and all of a sudden after about 40 years I think I should :rolleyes:

Anyway, bearing in mind that blades are replaceable, and the handles of the cheaper units are metal and look just as sturdy as the expensive (Bahco) models, is there any reason why a cheaper handle and its supplied blade or a replacement blade from say Bahco, would not perform the same as a Bahco handle?

Sponsored Links
Only thing I can think of is:

does the Bahco blade fit properly and not wander a bit in the cheap handle?
Does the cheaper handle fit as well in the hand? Materials quality?
I think mine is Harris from Screwfix and have no issues

Following a certain someone's post on here about carbide scrapers. I have realised that I don't have one and all of a sudden after about 40 years I think I should :rolleyes:
Tsk! Tsk!

Anyway, bearing in mind that blades are replaceable, and the handles of the cheaper units are metal and look just as sturdy as the expensive (Bahco) models, is there any reason why a cheaper handle and its supplied blade or a replacement blade from say Bahco, would not perform the same as a Bahco handle?
The Bahco ones used to be quite a bit cheaper than they are these days. They are very comfortable for extended use, but I'm not so sure they are worth the money these days despite the blades being really sharp - the big one with the extra knob at the front can really apply a lot of pressure which is useful is scraping metal or tough paintwork (like the old Skartsten floor scrapers, only better). The Linbide type (with a folded sheet metal handle) have the advantage of being cheap enough that you don't feel inclined cry (or more likely curse!) if one "disappears" half way through a job, but they are less comfortable for extended use. Never tried using Bahco blades in other peoples holders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back