'Carpenter' fitted these doors today - am I being picky?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a so called Carpenter in today to fit 4 internal solid pine doors. I've not paid him yet as he's due back on Wednesday to do 2 more. Can I ask people's opinions on the level of workmanship on display - I think it's awful and I suspect I'm going to have to fork out for new doors. I've not paid him yet luckily - main gripes is that where he's planed the doors, he appears to have pulled the plane off the door at various points resulting in steps on pretty much all 4 sides of every door.
He's also carved a chunk out of the architrave and two handles are at different heights - I'm so peed off.

Opinions please.....

One door has a 10mm gap at the top on the right that diminishes to about 4mm at the left.

Are these doors saveable?

View media item 99122View media item 99121View media item 99120View media item 99119
20170116_141141.jpg
20170116_220042.jpg

Sponsored Links
Absolutely rubbish workmanship. The door handles would need a larger size (plus a larger bolt mechanism) to cover the new hole positioning. The door that has a widening gap needs the hinges adjusting, but you'll have a large gap one side or the other once it's brought evenly upright. The door with the plane digs would need planning down a bit more before you could judge whether it's too narrow.

A good carpenter may be able to rescue the doors, or make adjustments to hide things as much as is possible.

I suspect you'll need to replace a couple of the doors, but first replace the carpenter - and don't pay him, let him sue you if necessary. It's down to you to whether you ask for payment for the damaged doors.

That's what I thought - the doors were 70 quid each too. Don't really know how to resolve what's no doubt going to turn into a dispute....

Sponsored Links
He should have been aiming for an even gap on three sides - ideally 2.5 to 3mm in a domestic setting - and that includes the top. Planing in with a power planer I can understand, we all do it, but the steps shouldn't be large and I always fair mine in with a nice sharp block plane so they are no longer visible. It takes only seconds. Adjacent handles must be at the same height as it can be visually disconcerting - whereas if they are at different ends of a corridor a minor difference isn't that noticeable. Ding out of the architrave can happen in transit, but you either use another piece of at least fill it with 2-pack and sand it in so that it will paint out because no deco ever will. It may be correctable, but it depends on whether or not he's willing and able to do so.

Three questions: How old was he? Was he called Willliam? and Where did he tie up his horse? In otrher words a bit of a cowboy job - he should have done better

He was over 50, wore a stetson but thought he was just quirky....

I don't think he's capable of putting it right and don't really wanna see him try to prove me wrong- so the question is how are such matters resolved 'diplomaticall'?

To get a dig that deep, he was running the plane on too high a setting, and should have know better. Ask him if he thinks it's acceptable, and would he want that quality of work in his house. At the end of the day, it down to how far are you prepared to take the dispute. Does he have liability insurance, and do you think he'll cough up for the doors, or at least part toward it. Did you check out his work first, and how did you find him.

Can I just refuse to pay him on the grounds that the work is substandard? If I don't pay him I'll she'll out for the doors myself..... Won't get anything off him....but can't pay him for wrecking the doors then have to out and buy them again......

Things like this happen all the time, and so you say to yourself, do i get someone else to screw my expensive doors for me, or shall i have a go at it myself and enjoy screwing it up, at least I won't pick on myself, and will be able to claim look how professional my workmanship is. This guy could not have been hanging doors, he hasn't got a clue.

You are well within your rights to refuse to pay him, and if he threatens you with the small claims court, then you threaten to counter claim for the doors. Either call him and tell him you want to discuss the quality of his work before he continues with the job, or just drop him a letter setting out your position, and asking for his comments. You knew the work was sub standard before you checked with us, so follow your gut instincts.

I'll ring him tomorrow and ask him IF he wants to return so I can point out the 'snags'

I'll update this post 2moro with the result

Well......phoned the fella this evening (after sending him the pictures via text) to ask him what he thought. After a very half arsed attempt at trying to convince me the doors had been 'shaped to the frames' he simply said well if I wasn't happy he wasn't going to invoice me. At least he won't profit (on this occasion), but I'm left with a mess to sort out - oh well, live n learn. One thing that that struck me was how quickly he conceded his position.... my guess is he knew as soon as he realised it was me ringing him.

Anyone know anyone round Glossop/ Stockport that might want the job and who will be reasonable?

Well done William, not the best result, but it could have been worse. Try and get a recommendation, explain the problems you've had, and ask to see other - but similar - work they done.

This should be bread and butter for a carpenter.
I would say that they could be made acceptable, whether perfect though might be another matter, the biggest issue appears to be the uneven planning. how big is the margin on that at the widest point.
To level the handles you will need some different handles with longer plates.

Depends on how much he quoted you to hang them - a self employed carpenter should be earning at least £30 per hour - how many hours did he quote for?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back