Carpet advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’d like to get a new carpet for our hallway, stairs and landing.

We have had a quote and annoyingly a join is going to be needed on the landing. This is apparently because you want to keep the carpet all in the same ‘direction’, otherwise it might look wrong.

The join can be avoided simply by laying the carpet the other way on the landing.

I really don’t like the idea of a join (child dragging stuff along pulling it up etc).

Would it really look too wrong in people’s opinion for the landing to be laid the ‘other’ way?

I’ve no experience at all of this!

The carpet is this one: https://www.tapi.co.uk/carpet/pall-mall

Thanks for any pointers!

Some photos attached…

Attachments

• IMG_8302.jpeg
    IMG_8302.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8303.jpeg
    IMG_8303.jpeg
    303.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8304.jpeg
    IMG_8304.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 25
Sponsored Links
Running the carpet the 'wrong' way will just mean the carpet pile will lay across the top step/riser and down the landing so the carpet may look a different shade to the rest of the stairs. In addition you may find a little premature wear on the top step, looks like that carpet is an all manmade fibre twist which will not cope as well as a wool Rich 80% Wool, 20% Manmade fibre Twist carpet on the stairs running 'the wrong way' or indeed running 'the right way' on stairs especially.

Thanks!

What would you do in my situation?! Join or lay the other way?!

I’m struggling to work out what’s best. I don’t think I’m too fussed it looking a different shade up there. The house is hardly a show house and there’s a window there casting shadows and sunlight in that area anyway.

Sponsored Links
Thanks!

What would you do in my situation?! Join or lay the other way?!

I’m struggling to work out what’s best. I don’t think I’m too fussed it looking a different shade up there. The house is hardly a show house and there’s a window there casting shadows and sunlight in that area anyway.

I’d have the seam and choose an 80% Wool, 20% man made fibre carpet, at that budget, something like Cormar Pembroke 50oz Twist, I’d also buy it from a quality independent and not Tapi/Carpet Right

I’d spec it on a firm 9mm puFoam underlay or even better, something like Ulster Axfelt65 which won’t cost more from most independents than whatever Tapi/Carpet Right would charge for a basic 9mm

A good carpet fitter will make the join practically invisible, with no danger of a child, dragging stuff across and exposing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back