carpet cleaning: Machine hire or Cleaning pro?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of having the carpets cleaned. we have not cleaned it for a few years.

If we hire a machine, it would have to be either rug doctor from Morrisons supermarket or what ever brand is on offer at Speedy or HSS hire. Just wondering what your thoughts are about hiring a machine compared to getting a pro in to do the cleaning. Will the end results be the same?

I've only had 1 quote so far from a cleaning pro, that was £350 for steam clean of 3 rooms , landing , stairs and a rug downstairs.

My understanding is that a water(hot) clean is actually better than a steam clean though will take longer to dry

Also which is the better hired machine for the job?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have used the bigger rug doctor several times in different houses and it is very good BUT you have to lug all the furnature around that is the hardest part. Perhaps if you pay someone they do the lugging around!

I have used the bigger rug doctor several times in different houses and it is very good BUT you have to lug all the furnature around that is the hardest part. Perhaps if you pay someone they do the lugging around!
Not in my experience but then maybe that's why they were cheap.

Sponsored Links
Bought a George , great carpet cleaner , cheaper than paying someone to do it , payed for itself very quickly.
Henry W3791 George Wet and Dry Vacuum, 15 Litre, 1060 Watt, Green, Green / Black, 40 x 40 cm https://amzn.eu/d/26xTDKh

I’ll try and get another quote tomorrow. I’ve only got this coming week to get it done before the weather completely changes.

H

How does weather affect your carpets?
I was thinking of the time it will take to dry since we will try and leave the windows open …. I am guessing that the hired machines leave more water in the carpets than the steam cleaned carpets

I was thinking of the time it will take to dry since we will try and leave the windows open …. I am guessing that the hired machines leave more water in the carpets than the steam cleaned carpets
Carpets dry in an hour or two.

We have a Vac machine (presently on offer) wife is pleased with it.
Big thing with any carpet cleaner is learning how much liquid to allow the machine to spray into the carpet. Roughly spray on one pass - dry on three passes.

When I moved four years ago into a house with four rooms, one landing and two staircases carpeted, I bought - direct from the makers - a Vax Platinum Power Max cleaner, heavily influenced by Which? magazine rating it higher then the best (Rug Doctor) hire-able machines, and by the cost and inconvenience of occasional hire. £249 including at that point a free steam cleaner (about £100 stand-alone at the time) which is good for my two lino surfaces. The carpet cleaner works very well, as evidenced by the amount of carp it lifts off even after a vigorous vacuuming. Seems to be still available and cheaper too (about £200). Only downside is it's a bit heavy and bulky to move around, but I have the space to store. Vax cleaning solution is pricy but no difference whether you own or hire the machine.

A good few years before in a different house with a ceramic tiled floor, I bought a refurbed professional floor polisher for £250, not wanting to pay at least £40 a time to hire. Worked brilliantly and when I moved I sold it on eBay. For £250. Downside: even heavier and bulkier than the carpet cleaner.

So both appliances saved, or have saved, much more than they cost.

Forgot to say that the Vax cleaner sucks back up so much liquid that the carpet can be walked on again almost immediately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back