of oil heaters and carpet cleaners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a small 1kW oil filled heater from B&Q to take the chill out of the extension/computer room (numb fingers are a pain when typing).

I was using it happily for a few days and went to clear the box away. I then noticed some yellow oil in the bottom of the box. Fearing the worst, I moved the heater and lo and behold, there is a puddle of brown/yellow oil soaking into my brown carpet.

Returned it and got a refund no problem. Said I wanted the rug doctor to clean it, and was then asked how I wanted to pay. I said I didn't expect to pay and after a brief chat with a manager, got 24 hours hire free :)

Then they asked me for 2 types of ID for the hire. I only had my driving license but thankfully, they recognized me as a 'regular' (every other day or so usually) and were happy to accept just that, saying they would pounce on me when I was next in if I didn't return it.

Got home, cleaned carpet, returned cleaner, there is a slight smudge on the carpet still, but at least it isn't oily.

Problem solved.

The lesson : Demand everything you need to fix a problem for free from a company if their products caused it. Consumers, you have the power.

Sam.

Sponsored Links
I'd have had a brand new carpet from them, inconvenience caused, and a new heater, and a written apology from the manager at least!

What, for the sake of an hour or so's inconvenience and a small smudge that the OP isn't bothered about anyway. You'd be battling for all that for months and you'd probably lose anyway unless you had a dated photo of the carpet beforehand.

Sponsored Links
OP is quite lucky.
Some products have a clause staing 'no liability for consequential losses should this product malfunction/fail etc.'
In a case like this all the store would be obliged to do would be to replace/refund or repair the product.

Back