Carpet creases

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a carpet which was unfortunaly stored too long folded and now I have cut it to size I cant seem to get rid the of the creases. The problem is that it is a felt backed carpet so I wont be using the gripper rods and stretch it to stretch the creases out. I am using a special tape for felt backed carpets. Can anyone give me tips on how to get this carpet straitened out?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
running the vacuum cleaner over it (an upright one) will tend to push the creases away from you, so hoover it towards a wall and the creases will creep up to the wall.

What is the backing made of?

it is possible to shrink bubbles and creases out of a carpet, once it is firmly fixed down, by sprinkling water over it. It will shrink as it dries. this relies on the backing being made of hessian or something, not polypropylene or rubber.

Sponsored Links
well the actual carpet is polypropylene but the backing is felt. Do you think it will work for my carpet?

depends what the real backing is made of. I have a feeling the tufts are needled into a backing and the felt is glued on. I bet it isn't woven.

Have you fitted it yet?
If not then re-roll it around a carpet tube at a 90degree angle to the worst creases. Leave it for a couple of days and unroll - it will be greatly improved.

they wont shrink out with water. This only works on jute woven carpets like axminsters or brintons. They also only shrink in the width. If your using the correct felt back tape then you still stretch fit the carpet so this will remove the creases. It may need to be stretched and left for a couple of days and then stretched again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back