Case repair on Potterton Suprima 70 - how dangerous?

K

Klaus_K

I have just had the gas board in to inspect our system and they have found a rather dodgy repair on the case of our boiler, which they say makes it impossible for them to give cover. Basically, an old water leak had rusted a hole, which has been patched up with a sheet of aluminium, held on with pop rivets and sealed with silicone sealant.

My wife is now having kittens about the risk, but I'd like to get a clearer view of what this is. Is the inside of the case really full of CO as the gas guys seem to imply? If so, this seems a pretty poor design?

Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Unless the manufacturers authorize the repair it is not allowed, nobody would take it on a contract and it would take a brave man to repair it. The boiler is not full of co but has the potential to be and a botch job on a room sealed case is not a good idea. Personally if it was a perfect seal I would 'at risk' it.

WHich part of the case? the cover's easy enough to change. I suppose it's at the bottom at the back though.

It's difficult to see how it could become dangerous, but stranger things have happened. If it leaks a little bit, all it should do is suck air in.

If it were mine I'd just replace the case.

Sponsored Links
The hole is at the top, towards the back (where the water pipes go into the case). As such, it's not just a matter of removing the front cover and fitting a new one.

Follow-on question (are these allowed?) - would a competent plumber be able to replace the case without me having to buy a complete new boiler? Once again - any idea what a case costs on its own (v. roughly).

It's a Potterton Suprima 70 - which is probably an important piece of information that I forgot to give earlier - sorry :oops:

I hate it when they fit those stupid pressure relief fittings so that they drip straight down onto the case and rot it through. Probably looking at the best part of 3 - 400 quid for a replacement fitted.

I found one of these doing a boiler service ,comp coupling slowly leaked ,had eaten a 3" hole round the Flow and return pipes.

The customer cliamed of there house insurance.

just leave the boiler as it is. its at risk and you are aware of it, check it regularly and it will probably be fine if a good job has been done repairing it. get it serviced regularly and keep a good eye on it yourself.

no need to panic....no real need for a new boiler......mine has been ID for 7 months :LOL:

BG cant take it on as their policy doesnt allow an at risk boiler to go on contract....no big deal.

nickso said:
just leave the boiler as it is. its at risk and you are aware of it, check it regularly and it will probably be fine if a good job has been done repairing it. get it serviced regularly and keep a good eye on it yourself.

no need to panic....no real need for a new boiler......mine has been ID for 7 months :LOL:

BG cant take it on as their policy doesnt allow an at risk boiler to go on contract....no big deal.

WOw what great advice

Nickso just what s the point to that stupid statement

you may as well condem everyone to the peaceful sleep of carbon monoxide posioning just to save a few bob

"mine has been ID for 7 months :LOL: "

Well I am piissing my pants wow what a guy you are....not

dont listen to him get a new boiler

corgiman said:
nickso said:

WOw what great advice

as with any at risk situation the customer needs to make an informed decision on whether or not they wish to continue using the boiler, based on an engineering judgement given by a competent person. with the limited information afforded by this forum ive just done that.

if you disagree please state why and the OP can then have another opinion to make his decision.

like a lot of other engineers you have automatically assumed that the boiler must now be replaced because its not as the manufacturer left it. perhaps it is....perhaps isnt. At risk doesnt need to be a blanket condemnation of any boiler, it means there is a significantly higher risk of injury to person or property, but each situation needs to be assessed individually.

Nickso just what s the point to that stupid statement

you may as well condem everyone to the peaceful sleep of carbon monoxide posioning just to save a few bob
amateur dramatics that i would expect more from someone like agile, not from engineers like you and baxpoti that i previously considered to be more intelligent.

"mine has been ID for 7 months "

my boiler has been ID for 7 months and could continue to be for some time if i wasnt replacing it for something more efficient in the summer. it is not however dangerous to use.....merely classified as such.

dont listen to him get a new boiler

not much for the OP to go on there.

One up for the botchers

or there

I have nothing to say the OP he knows what he should do

I have huge respect for you nick as you have given top advice, but stating that its ok to use an appliance that has been ID'd ( for what ever reason) is iresponsible to the extreme how many DIY morons will take what you say as gospel???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back