Boiler casing damage?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time poster here and I'm looking for some help and advice.

We've recently been having some problems with our central heating. As a result we had a plumber come round to apply some sludge removal. In doing so, he also noticed that the top of our boiler casing (Potterton Suprima 30) had started to gather rust because of a leaking pipe situated above it. Now there is no hole in the top of the boiler, but the accumulation of rust has led him to think that a hole's not far off. The leaking pipe has also been stopped.

The plumber suggested that the whole bolier unit needs to be replaced which would cost approx £1000.

Now I'm not one to scrimp when it comes to safety, but are there any less expensive alternatives? Times are quite hard and £1000 seems a lot to fritter away on a complete new system when the system itself is fine and it's just the outer case that has slowly been eroded.

Is it possible to get a replacement outer casing for the boiler? Or even to repair the existing one by patching up the damage?

Your advice would be very much appreciated as I'm very much in the dark and would like some informed advice.

Many thanks,

Mark

Sponsored Links
That was only a rough cost. I'm guessing from your reply that it might be a little on the low side.... oh crumbs!

If there's no hole and the leak's been fixed, then nip to halfords for some cure rust stuff. No need to do much else other than make it look pretty if it's visible.

Sponsored Links
WHy is 1000 quid far too cheap ? have you seen the job.

In the past you would have been allowed to plate it and fix it but now its says actuall manufacturers parts must be used no matter how good your repair is. Depending on whether case is avialable it would be quite costly labour wise to transfer everything over with the possibility of bits being broken

WHy is 1000 quid far too cheap

If your happy to supply and install boilers for £1000 thats up to you.

We don't fit bargain bucket boilers on to filthy systems and we don't have various interchangeable magnetic signs on our vehicles.

Just checked parts arena and the main boiler case does not appear to be available as a spare, only the front.

I had the same problem some time ago. I installed a Suprima which developed a leak on the compression fitting on the flow. The boiler was under a contract with BG and they failed to notice the leak and rust over the next 3 years of servicing. They then condemed the boiler and the stated that the casing was not a spare part. I telephoned Potterton who confirmed that the case is available as a spare, giving me a part no. BG backed down and fitted a new boiler instead of replacing the case. :p
Steve

Gremlin.
AND how do you know system is filthy. there is plenty of boilers that are perfectly adequate at around 600 quid and if someone wanted to make 400 quid for a days work that is entirely up to them.
Dont associate expensive with good other wise everyone we see on rogue traders would be classed as elite

As i initially said have YOU seen the job .
Only the guy who has quoted it has and if he is happy with the price who is anyone to say it is not priced correctly. Whether he is making 200 or 800 hundred

namsag

Now im dazzled by your brilliance :oops:

What boiler would you supply for £600 .

What boiler would you supply for £600 .

Bodge it & Quit special offer? or 1 of the many Baxi's that have been 1/2"ed off the back of a lorry :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

as for a boiler case try fleabay theres bound to be one on there, where someone has gotten sick of the damn thing going wrong and ripped it out !!

On this job.
Could use one of the most reliable and proven boilers made over the past 15 or so years . The ideal classic which as a re badged Optia from plumcentre costs around £500 inc
Or the vaillant ecotec 415 , worcester ri range , baxi solo and many more are avialable at less than 600inc. With many of the other cheaper makes coming in 100 quid at least less
Why are you going to pretend a boiler is far more expensive.

why what would you fit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back