Case repair on Potterton Suprima 70 - how dangerous?

my boiler has been ID for 7 months and could continue to be for some time if i wasnt replacing it for something more efficient in the summer. it is not however dangerous to use.....merely classified as such

Please expand..i'm a bit confused

Sponsored Links
baxpoti said:
One up for the botchers

Realists I think.

Are you so foo*kin daft you cant repair a boiler case.

Ever heard of welding?

Dafyid

Soggy_weetabix said:
baxpoti said:
One up for the botchers

Realists I think.

Ever heard of welding?

Dafyid

David has anyone ever told you that you are too practical?. You know common sense and practicality are severly frowned upon in this job.

corgiman said:
I have nothing to say the OP he knows what he should do

quote]

no he doesnt....thats why he is here asking our opinion.

I have huge respect for you nick as you have given top advice, but stating that its ok to use an appliance that has been ID'd ( for what ever reason) is iresponsible to the extreme how many DIY morons will take what you say as gospel???

that would be their mistake then as they dont know the facts about my individual case....... as an engineer if i ID a customers boiler its capped off as they cant be trusted to make an engineering judgement on a regular basis. i can.

Please expand..i'm a bit confused

i have a baxi wall mounted with a cracked combustion chamber. no POC's are leaking from it but its still classed as ID.

Ever heard of welding?

sorry but actually repairing the case yourself is wrong. i dont advocate doing it and i never have or will. we are commenting on a repair made by another engineer. we are not commenting on whether it is correct to do that repair.....which it isnt

Sponsored Links
Soggy_weetabix said:
baxpoti said:
One up for the botchers

Realists I think.

Ever heard of welding?

Dafyid

Not changed your ways i see :rolleyes:

Remember the post about you altering parts on boilers because they were obsolete. (6mm drill bits ,i think)

I seem to remember you admitting that it was wrong.

There are repairs and repairs. If you stripped a thread on a Suprima case who would scrap the boiler? You'd use a nut and bolt, or a spire nut, or tap a bigger thread.
If you somehow slipped with a drill and made a 4mm hole, it wouldn't be hard to block.
Each case (!) on its merits.

I have a s/h SUprima 50 in my lockup which I intend to dismantle, sometime. Can't see me installing it anywhere. I'll have a look at the case. Email in profile.

nickso said:
just leave the boiler as it is. its at risk and you are aware of it, check it regularly and it will probably be fine if a good job has been done repairing it. get it serviced regularly and keep a good eye on it yourself.

no need to panic....no real need for a new boiler......mine has been ID for 7 months :LOL:

BG cant take it on as their policy doesnt allow an at risk boiler to go on contract....no big deal.

so why you using it when its id???

doyle said:
nickso said:
just leave the boiler as it is. its at risk and you are aware of it, check it regularly and it will probably be fine if a good job has been done repairing it. get it serviced regularly and keep a good eye on it yourself.

no need to panic....no real need for a new boiler......mine has been ID for 7 months :LOL:

BG cant take it on as their policy doesnt allow an at risk boiler to go on contract....no big deal.

so why you using it when its id???

so why cant you read???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back