Cat Flap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an existing cat flap in an external wall, it's been there years and I'm now going to seal it up.

Inside; I was going to cut a peice of plaster board and 'dot and dab' in the hole, leaving the plasterboard recessed about 5mm. Then use multifinish to skim over. I was then going to use a devils float to 'feather' the edges of the multifinsh so I can then paint over.

1/. Is the above description the correct approach?
2/. What do I do about the hole on the outside of the wall?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would brick it up and fill it out with one coat plaster, rub it back and apply some easy fill over the patch and surrounding areas, again, rub back and repeat until a prefered finish is acheived. As for outside, that is the wall outside? is it brick or render or dashing?

Thing is, I also have an old fireplace (a bigger hole) and also need to fill that hole and I don't know how to lay bricks - I just feel like I could do the plasterboard thing. Is my approach correct?

The wall outside is brick.

Laying bricks in small amounts is dead easy. Give it a whirl.

Sponsored Links
patching in brick work is no big deal, especially when it will be plastered over. how do you plan to fix the plasterboard into the cat flap hole? IMO the join will always crack btw.

Inside hack the plaster off around the opening by 2 inches put a 2"x1" batten on either side of the opening you have knocked the plaster off, get an off cut of p/board and put your batten on so the p/board is flush with wall. Then measure top and bottom and allow a little on your measurement (cut right hand side of line and leave the line on), hammer bottom batten in then top one. Pin corners with small nails or screws to fix. When you have your P/board inside the hole fixed to your battens,flush with the wall get some 4" scrim tape and put the tape all around the gap (wall and p/Board) it will stick to the board so get some pva and pour some into a small container then dip a 2" paint brush into some water then into the pva and paint it over the scrim tape and the 2"s of wall you have hacked off and one inch over the existing wall. Then mix a little bit of "Bonding" up and spread it over the area you have just prepared and feather it flat with a straight edge from bottom to top. When you have done this let the bonding firm up then take your trowel and take a little bit of bonding off around the edges (about 2mm below the original wall) and let it dry out so it goes dark and firms up. Then it is time to skim it, mix some multi up, just a small amount (Its only a small area) make it quit stiff then cover the area with it dont worry if you go over the sides and it is "proud". Leave it for awhile till it firms up (put the back of your hand on it and if it doesn't stick to you hand) then get a wet sponge and go all the way around the edge with it taking off the excess finish, then stroke your trowel with a damp brush and run your trowel over the area with just the pressure of your arm dont push too hard. leave for a while then do the same again with a wetter mix of multi and leave again then do the same process as above .Sponge gently around the edges so it ends up all level...Sorry I have gone on a bit but I have had a few glass's of the vino :oops:

Next chapter.....The outside.. I would get a terracotta air-brick and get some bricks the same as originals and brick it in...

Inside hack the plaster off around the opening by 2 inches put a 2"x1" batten on either side of the opening you have knocked the plaster off, get an off cut of p/board and put your batten on so the p/board is flush with wall. Then measure top and bottom and allow a little on your measurement (cut right hand side of line and leave the line on), hammer bottom batten in then top one. Pin corners with small nails or screws to fix. When you have your P/board inside the hole fixed to your battens,flush with the wall get some 4" scrim tape and put the tape all around the gap (wall and p/Board) it will stick to the board so get some pva and pour some into a small container then dip a 2" paint brush into some water then into the pva and paint it over the scrim tape and the 2"s of wall you have hacked off and one inch over the existing wall. Then mix a little bit of "Bonding" up and spread it over the area you have just prepared and feather it flat with a straight edge from bottom to top. When you have done this let the bonding firm up then take your trowel and take a little bit of bonding off around the edges (about 2mm below the original wall) and let it dry out so it goes dark and firms up. Then it is time to skim it, mix some multi up, just a small amount (Its only a small area) make it quit stiff then cover the area with it dont worry if you go over the sides and it is "proud". Leave it for awhile till it firms up (put the back of your hand on it and if it doesn't stick to you hand) then get a wet sponge and go all the way around the edge with it taking off the excess finish, then stroke your trowel with a damp brush and run your trowel over the area with just the pressure of your arm dont push too hard. leave for a while then do the same again with a wetter mix of multi and leave again then do the same process as above .Sponge gently around the edges so it ends up all level...
Sorry I have gone on a bit but I have had a few glass's of the vino :oops:

tut tut Roy!!! That's not like you mucka,,, drunk on duty. :LOL: :LOL:

Inside hack the plaster off around the opening by 2 inches put a 2"x1" batten on either side of the opening you have knocked the plaster off, get an off cut of p/board and put your batten on so the p/board is flush with wall. Then measure top and bottom and allow a little on your measurement (cut right hand side of line and leave the line on), hammer bottom batten in then top one. Pin corners with small nails or screws to fix. When you have your P/board inside the hole fixed to your battens,flush with the wall get some 4" scrim tape and put the tape all around the gap (wall and p/Board) it will stick to the board so get some pva and pour some into a small container then dip a 2" paint brush into some water then into the pva and paint it over the scrim tape and the 2"s of wall you have hacked off and one inch over the existing wall. Then mix a little bit of "Bonding" up and spread it over the area you have just prepared and feather it flat with a straight edge from bottom to top. When you have done this let the bonding firm up then take your trowel and take a little bit of bonding off around the edges (about 2mm below the original wall) and let it dry out so it goes dark and firms up. Then it is time to skim it, mix some multi up, just a small amount (Its only a small area) make it quit stiff then cover the area with it dont worry if you go over the sides and it is "proud". Leave it for awhile till it firms up (put the back of your hand on it and if it doesn't stick to you hand) then get a wet sponge and go all the way around the edge with it taking off the excess finish, then stroke your trowel with a damp brush and run your trowel over the area with just the pressure of your arm dont push too hard. leave for a while then do the same again with a wetter mix of multi and leave again then do the same process as above .Sponge gently around the edges so it ends up all level...
Sorry I have gone on a bit but I have had a few glass's of the vino :oops:

tut tut Roy!!! That's not like you mucka,,, drunk on duty. :LOL: :LOL:

I am practicing for Chrimbo mucka We will be up your neck of the woods again this year Prestwick for Christmas, Edinburgh for New Year.... ;)

Sounds good Roy, i'm having a nice can of lager here just now,,,, here's to ya!! ;)

Sounds good Roy, i'm having a nice can of lager here just now,,,, here's to ya!! ;)
Cheers rc just finished the second bottle of "Glera Prosecco" (half price at the CO-OP) on to the Badgers Golden Champion ale now..., was workin' till 2 today so havin a little blow out tonight Have you got much on?

Yep,, work's steady at the moment, nothing big though,, and i was working today as well,,, finishing a job that i started around 3 weeks ago, plus i've been helping my son/daughter in law at their house for a good few evenings, doing up the little grandaughters bedroom. Enjoyable!!

Yep,, work's steady at the moment, nothing big though,, and i was working today as well,,, finishing a job that i started around 3 weeks ago, plus i've been helping my son/daughter in law at their house for a good few evenings, doing up the little grandaughters bedroom. Enjoyable!!

Money couldn't or never would reward you for that look on her face when she walks in when you finish it.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back