Cat Flap

We will be up your neck of the woods again this year Prestwick for Christmas, Edinburgh for New Year.... ;)

Another 240 miles east before you arrive at the domain of the r/c Roy :mrgreen:

Must of been thinking of your neck of the woods Alastair... :oops: Still should be more of a "chatroom" I reckon we are all men with points of view and things to say and share... ;)I packed up drinking in pubs and comin' home drunk every night when my nipper was born 14 years ago and I only live 5 doors away from the pub I used to travel to!!! Another few years and I might let him buy me a drink or two in there :LOL:

Sponsored Links
We will be up your neck of the woods again this year Prestwick for Christmas, Edinburgh for New Year.... ;)

Another 240 miles east before you arrive at the domain of the r/c Roy :mrgreen:

Must of been thinking of your neck of the woods Alastair... :oops: Still should be more of a "chatroom" I reckon we are all men with points of view and things to say and share... ;)

10 miles from prestwick Roy.

should be more of a "chatroom" I reckon we are all men with points of view and things to say and share... ;)

Couldnt agree more Roy. :D

Although I appreciate the post from royc I don't think I'll be able to follow that and it sounds like it would require more skill. So I think I'm best to stick with 1John's brickwork approach.

Can someone confirm I have this right. Hole in chimney;

- Brick it up, set bricks back enough for my one-coat plaster (10mm?). Spread 'one coat' leaving it flush with the wall.

- Rub it back? How, with what?

- Spread easy-fill over the whole thing and rub it back again? How, with what?

Can anyone fill in the blanks please.

Many thanks.

Can someone confirm I have this right. Hole in chimney;

- Brick it up, set bricks back enough for my one-coat plaster (10mm?). Spread 'one coat' leaving it flush with the wall.

- Rub it back? How, with what?

Use your trowel to take back 1-2mm of depth off the plaster you applied to leave some room for the easi-fill.

- Spread easy-fill over the whole thing and rub it back again? How, with what?

I think prob means additional troweling to smooth down, tho I didn't entirely follow.
But....with easi-fill it is sandable, so if it were me doing it this way, would smooth it down with my trowel and put a thin layer a couple of inches width just over edge to blend into existing. Let it go hard and sand flat when dry. Hopefully this may stop cracking that 1John warned about too.

In fact, if it were me, would go with Roy C's solution. Should be less prone to cracking after. A chimney is a big space.

Inside hack the plaster off around the opening by 2 inches put a 2"x1" batten on either side of the opening you have knocked the plaster off, get an off cut of p/board and put your batten on so the p/board is flush with wall.

Roy, I did have 1 question - would the p/board be level with original wall level or the level with the brickwork? (i.e. after plaster hacked back)

(I was thinking it was prob level with brickwork and fill in the whole area with Bonding (i.e. inc on top of the plasterboard) to give a strong base and less prone to cracking at the edges. please correct if I'm way out).

Sponsored Links
Hi mucka . the plaster board would be level with the original wall level (after plaster knocked off) then follow instuctions for the scrim tape, this is what will stop any cracking at a later date,,, ;) When you sponge around the edges there should be no humps where old meets new after sponging run your trowel around the edges, run your hand over and you should have a nice flat joint.. ;)

You say remove the existing plaster and fix a batten (2" x 1") and then fix a peice of plasterboard to the batten so the p/board is then flush with the wall.

That means the plaster removed must be exactly the same thickness as the batten + p/board??

I'm either missing something or would need to be very lucky.

Does that mean I shouldn't do the brickwork, one-coat approach on the hole where the chimney was? It's not that big; 200 x 400 probably.

well I would do it if it is that small, leave about 5 to 10mm back, lay on the one coat plaster and rule it off flush, rub it back a bit once it is off and trowel some easy fill over the top and feather it out over the edges of the existing plaster, get this as near to acceptable as you can, once that is set you can rub it back to a good finish or even apply more easy fill if required. If you could skim you could brick up, flush out with bonding and then skim the whole wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back