CATALYTIC CONVERTER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I own a Peugeot 206 GTI and recently replaced the standard cat due to it failing. The dealer quoted £600 to replace so opted for non genuine one at £200 fitted. However three months down the road and it looks like it has failed again!!. The car display shows "anti pollution fault" which means cat failure. The dealer says that non genuine do not last, is the case?
Anyone else had similar experiences?
Phil

Sponsored Links
On the few cats I've done, I don't use the manufacturers genuine part either due to price - preferring to go to a motor factors for a trade deal. In your case, its very unusual for the thing to fail so soon unless it has actually been poisoned due to your cars emissions being too high.....if your car is burning oil for example, the cat has no chance. Could yours be under warranty? Cheers John

Thanks for the reply John. Well yes I can understand the cat failing because of too high emissions. Luckily the cat is on a few months old and the garage are going to replace under warranty.
Oil use is fine so I think it could be because the car is running too rich, interestingly the light came on after a fairly high speed run down to Bournmouth and I am starting to think that maybe excess fuel is damaging the cat???
Of course the big question is how do you adjust the fuel mix as I thought it was all mapped? confused!!
Phil

I thought if the lambda sensor curled up it's toes, and the failure wasn't detected by the ECU, then it could be over-fuelling, which would write the cat. off quickly afterwards.

Sponsored Links
can you get the fault codes read? so many other faults on these engines cause the cat to appear to fail.

Back