Cavity wall insulation

peteuk said:
If it weren't for Anobium's comment that airbricks are not usually just to vent cavities I wouldn't be worried about the floor.
Even so since the airbricks aren't blocked it sounds like I don't have a problem now. Does this sound right?

Sorry if I am causing you unnecessary worry.
It should be easy to check if the floors are solid or timber suspended . First peel back a small section of carpet and check visibly. If it appears to be concrete give it a belt with a hammer and you will soon find out by the sound if it is solid or just a skim on the surface of the boards. I say this as sometimes a thin screed was laid on the boards for certain types of tiles
Poking through the vents will not tell you much as if the vents are above the internal floor level ,all you will do is hit the inner leaf. The opening on the inner leaf will be several courses lower down.
Have you checked under the stairs for a an access trap to the underside of the floor.? That is were they are usually situated if it is timber suspended.
i hope this is of some assistance

Sponsored Links
Don’t worry. You haven’t caused me any unnecessary concern. I became concerned when the contractor sealed up the vents to the cavity. Having unsealed them I feel a lot better about not causing condensation under the floor or in the cavity. (Even if it is lying on the floor of the cavity at least I will have maintained the best ventilation I can now).

My next concern was that I’d paid for ineffective insulation. I’m not sure whether or not to pursue this any further as I’m pretty sure the council will say not their responsibility.

By the way, the property is a bungalow so no stairs to look under. The extension we have definitely has a wooden floor but there was no sign of any other access hatch when we had the carpets up. We’ve had lots of problems since moving into the bungalow and are on our 3rd set of replacement carpets due to faults etc so I’ll wait until they’re due before applying your hammer trick – my wife is very stressed with the place at the moment.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back